SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklibrarian

Everything's just sitting there...

oklibrarian
14 years ago

When I read about the problems others are having with diseases, etc. I feel like I've dodged some bullets in my first year. My tomatoes and peppers are hanging in there, and not looking too much the worse for wear in the heat (yet). the bell and hot peppers haven't set much fruit yet, but they're really only starting to bloom now, and the local bees seem to have discovered my new bed, so I'm hopeful I'll get something out of most of them. What's really driving me nuts are my tomatoes. I got a heat tolerant variety that set oodles of fruit in late may and early june (and is still fruiting a little bit now), but after an early spurt of growth they have all sat there for the last 2 weeks, not growing, and stubbornly whitish-green with very few progressing to the breaker stage. It's like Groundhog day--I keep coming home after work to water and to see if i have any ripening tomatoes, only to see the same white-green orbs, with no change in size or color. Is it just that the heat is so brutal that the plants are putting everything into surviving and not ripening the fruit? Are they getting too much sun? do i just need to be more patient? Will I be able to make my husband his promised homemade salsa before october? Suggestions are welcome, even if they're just to pour myself a nice glass of iced tea and chill out.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus