SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizydiggin

Mimosa Tree

bizydiggin
15 years ago

I really value everyone's opinions on the forum, so I'm putting this out there for some honest evaluation. Be brutal if necessary :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the Mimosa (Silk Flower) tree, but I been reading a lot of mixed reviews from other parts of the country about them being messy and invasive. I'm wondering if anyone locally has had any experience with them. Are they water hungry? Can I plant them near (10-20 feet)septic or latteral lines? What about the lines for the sprinkler system?

If you had to do it all over again, would you plant this tree again?

The more I read about this tree, I realized that this is the tree that my Grandma had in her backyard, I don't remember her being very fond of it though, I loved it because it was the easiest tree to climb!

Thanks

Courtney

Comments (20)

• rjj1
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Courtney,

This is one of those "You love it or you hate it" trees. The fast growing aspect means it is a soft weak wood that might give you problems if planted close to something. They were notorious for tearing up those tar paper pipe septic systems, But in this day and age of plastic pipe, I'm not sure if that's applicable anymore unless they are planted on your lateral lines.

It's not something I would plant in my yard.

BUT it was one of my favorite trees as a kid growing up. A mimosa in full bloom is so beautiful. Those two things keep me from dogging it as much as I do other softwood "trash" wood trees.

I still get my mimosa fix though. There is a naturalized tree in the pasture close to the house. The ice storm in December did a number on it though.

randy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

Usually, this is the point where I would say that this is a somewhat weak-wooded tree (as are most really fast-growing trees), it is prone to borers and other insects, is fairly short-lived, it is messy because it drops sap or some other liquid, and it is really attractive to ants. I'd suggest that there are many trees of better quality and that you'd be better off planting one of them. THAT is what I would normally say, when someone asks about a tree like mimosa (Julibrissin albizia, I think). But I can't say that this time.

I love, love, love mimosa trees despite everything I said above. I planted one fairly close to my veggie garden three years ago, and I am not alone. Several houses on our sparsely populated road have one or more of these trees in their front yards. What is it about these trees that cause people who "know better" to throw caution to the wind and plant one anyway?

Well, we had one in our front yard when we were kids and, as you said, its' branching structure made it easy to climb. And, when the one in the front yard died after about 15 years, my dad replaced it with an oak tree, but at the same time he planted another mimosa in the side yard. I loved the fluffy pink flowers then and still love them now. The flowers are hummingbird magnets. The leaves are delicate, and I think the flowers and leaves together give the tree a tropical look.

I wouldn't plant one near a patio, sidewalk, swimming pool, or driveway where the sap and the dead flowers that drop might be a problem. Mine is between the chicken coop and the garden where it is unlikely to do anything that bothers anyone but me, and I like it, so that is unlikely. I don't go out of my way to give it extra water, and it is in our narrow band of very fast-draining sandy soil and probably needs more water than it gets. If I notice that it is so dry that the leaves are wilting and yellowing, I will give it a little water, but not a lot.

I planted this tree purely because I have an emotional attachment to it that dates way back to the early days of my childhood, from the times when I had tea parties for my baby dolls under its lacey foliage to the times I climbed it as an older child, to the times I would sit on the porch as a teenager and young adult and watch the hummers dart from flower to flower.

So, even though I ought to say "Don't plant it!", I won't because that would be hypocritical. Instead, I'll say this.....you already know the pros and cons of planting this tree. So, if you are wanting to plant a tree that is a long-term landscape investment, don't do it. On the other hand, if you want to plant a tree that you like, a tree that brings back fond memories and a tree that gives you pleasure, why not do it? (Oh, it is so unlike me to say that!) You know up front it will only last a decade or two. (The same is true of ornamental pears and look how often they are planted!) You know you need to plant it in an area where its' tendency to messiness won't bother you(it drops its little dried flowers on and off all through the growing season). IF you have such a slightly out-of-the-way place that you could put it then plant it. If you like the tree and want one, plant it. You'll enjoy it. I enjoy mine, which has gazillions of 4 o'clocks nearby as well as some crinum lilies and daturas. Those flowers and the tree together give that part of the yard a tropical look I adore.

I can't speak to the issue of whether it is a problem around water lines or house foundations because I've never had it planted near either one.

Normally, I only plant well-adapted, slow-growing, high-quality, non-messy, disease-resistant trees like oaks. Every now and then, though, I choose to plant a tree like mimosa purely to make myself happy. And I don't regret it one bit. (But, then, we do have a lot of acreage, so I had plenty of room to plant one "out of the way". You might decide that you don't have the space to spare for one in the city.)

Bet this was not the answer you were expecting from someone like me who generally encourages people to plant slower-growing, higher-quality trees! I can't help myself, though, because this tree is a sentimental favorite of mine, and I always try to give a honest answer.

And, if Randy is reading this, I am sure he is wishing he could hit me over the head with a two-by-four and say "Don't encourage her plant that tree! Only plant quality trees!" And, Randy would be 110% right. But, I love this tree and I'm not gonna back down. LOL

Dawn

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Mimosa tree and Pecan tree seedlings

Q

Comments (1)
    Emailing you! I'd LOVE pecan seedlings :)
    ...See More

Can this Flame mimosa tree be made to grow straighter?

Q

Comments (21)
    cut it about 4 foot.. and hope it rebuds ... then spend 5 years removing excess leaders.. and pruning the tree into tree form ... and all that is nbd .... all that said... lets hope the sun variable has changed enough that it grows straighter up ... i suspect that in priming for the house sale.. someone went in there. .and removed a jungle.. and perhaps that is why it grew in this form ... if you arent up for the challenge.. cut it flush to the ground and apply a stump killer.. and be done with it.. and buy and plant another in better light conditions in the next proper season ... see primer link below.. section one ... it is very hard to plant and grow babes under the canopy of very old large trees ... as all trees are full sun plants ... but also.. the water competition .... ken https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub
    ...See More

propagating a Mimosa Tree

Q

Comments (3)
    I cut a 12 in branch from one side of my mimosa tree and then cut that piece into three smaller branches and placed them in a glass pitcher , I didn’t really know what I was doing but to my surprise , they started growing . They have some roots at the bottom and the branches have growth all over . I don’t know when I should transfer to s pot ?
    ...See More

Mimosa Tree dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    They are not "politically correct", horticulturally speaking, but I too like them. They have had viral issues, so maybe not quite as invasive as they used to be, at least in my neck of the woods (NJ/Zone 7).
    ...See More
  • rjj1
    15 years ago

Dawn,

It was really hard for me to be objective about this tree. I can't feel comfortable in recommending any "soft wood fast growing trash tree."

BUT if I ever planted a SWFGTT in my yard, this is the tree it would be. I'm very tempted to put one on the acreage out away from the house. I do love them.

randy

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Randy,

Go ahead and go for it! Plant one out there in the boonies somewhere--you have lots of room! And, when it is a few years old and in full, glorious bloom, you can post a photo of the hummers visiting your tree and everyone will just drool over it.

And, I am greatly relieved that you aren't feeling inclined to hit me over the head with a two-by-four to knock some sense into me.

Dawn

• kirts
    15 years ago

I Have about 6 or 7 I have in pots right now (gowning from seeds)on their 2nd year.. but I have a lot that needs trees and the Mimosa is the one I picked out, We had a lot in our area 10 years or so back, but a hard winter killed them off one year.
    because of the hummingbirds Plus I like the tree.

It is not a good idea to plant any tree around pipes, any tree will reach for a water source when they are dry, it make take years before.. but they all will.

Enjoy that Mimosa Tree!

• bizydiggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THAT'S IT! I'm planting a Mimosa :))

I'm not really sure where our lateral lines are which is why I asked, but I think I know where I'll plant it. The side yard, far away from where the laterals might be. I want to put a pond on that side of the yard also, but I need some shade, I think the Mimosa would help with that problem.

DH is not going to like this idea (the pond and all). He's just tired of working the shovel. Luckily, DD has an 18 year old BF that will help. This might actually be kinda fun. Watching the old guy trying not to get beat by the youngun' and the youngun' trying not to get beat by the old man! Anyone want to buy a ticket for the show??

DH also gets a little frustrated that I keep finding reasons to dig up grass, which we paid a pretty good penny for a year sgo. :)

Randy - I was also considering a Flowering Dogwood. I'll probably end up with one of those also, but that one will be closer to the patio AFTER I figure out where my lateral lines are! I know the Dogwood is preferable, I just absolutely LOVE the form and flowers of the Mimosas.

Thank you Dawn, I had a feeling you'd see the emotional attachment to this tree. Grandma lived right across the street from us. We played over there everyday! I am the only girl in the family, so I was very much a tomboy growing up, I spent a lot of time in that tree! That's another reason I think it'd be nice to have, my son needs a tree to climb, the Bois D' Arc is not a friendly tree for climbing!

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

Plant it, enjoy it and have fun with it. The absolute worst thing that happens is that ten or fifteen years down the road, you lose it. By then, the little man will be more interested in sports and ladies than in tree climbing anyway.

I can see DD's BF and your DH out digging in the dirt right now. It probably WILL BE quite a show. Ponds add so much to a landscape. Since we put in the lily pond in the back yard, it has been SO entertaining. There's always tons of wild critters....fish, frogs, toads, small snakes, (sometimes large snakes, too, but that's because we're out in the wilderness), water skimmers, tons and tons of dragonflies and damselflies (they eat TONS of insects), newts, etc.

I also have 2 cats (part siamese, part mutt) who like to walk on the ice when it freezes over. If a piece of the ice breaks away and floats, they sit on it and float around the pond as if in a boat. The other animals just look at them like they are insane. It is a hysterical sight to see. And, then there is the floating chicken. We have one hen who sometimes gets startled when a dog comes upon her suddenly. If she is near the pond, she panics and jumps in where she sits (floats?) on top of a lily pad until the dog has walked or run away. It is quite a sight. The first time I saw her do it, I thought she was going to drown. She didn't. She just sat there on that lily pad....and then, waddled her way up onto solid ground. I wouldn't call what she was doing swimming.....maybe floating. It's never dull around here.

Every day we take the dogs down to the big pond, which is 1/3 to 1/2 acre, depending on how full it is, and they swim. They swim and swim. They KNOW they are not supposed to swim in the lily pond, but every now and then the Rottweiler mix, Duke, gets into the lily pond and swims. Now, the pond surface is almost totally covered by water lilies, so he always ends up with a leaf or flower in his mouth. I am so amused by how silly he looks that I can't bring myself to scold him for getting into the lily pond and cutting pathways through all the lilies.

See, you need a pond....so y'all can have such magical moments too.

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL!! Kids and animals are sooo amuzing!! You need to send a video of that chicken to American Funniest Videos, she could earn you $10,000!! :)

DH is gone right now, he'll be back in a couple weeks, I told him my plans when he gets home, he said he's going to see if he can extended out a couple more weeks until I forget about the pond. He's really doesn't want to dig in teh clay again. Oh well, the other way to get things donestart doing it, and he's so sweet, he'll take over so I "don't get hurt". Such a wonderful husband. I shouldn't take advantage of his kindness like that, but sometimes it's the only way to get a fence installed, landscaping done, trees cut down....

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Courtney,

I cannot believe you would set him up by starting a project without him, knowing he'll then pitch in to save you from yourself! Well, OK, I can believe it. A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do! LOL

Be careful, though. Digging in the clay in this heat could be hazardous to your heath! When we are working on major projects in the heat, it seems like we drink so much water and Gatorade that we aren't even hungry enough to eat meals. (Or maybe we're just too hot and too tired to eat.)

Dawn

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

They are pretty...but if your neighbors start looking cross-eyed at you, you might look at the tree. I have fought mimosa seedlings all over my property from a tree somewhere in the neighborhood. I've noticed in the last couple of years that one of my neighbors in the back has one growing right next to the house.

But, I fight plenty of other seedlings too. The squirrels really, really, really think I should be growing a pecan tree in my yard to match my next door neighbor. They figure if they plant enough I'll miss one of them sooner or later!

Lisa

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Lisa,

Squirrels plant pecans and acorns in my garden constantly, and I pull them up constantly. When they plant them in the yard, I just mow 'em down. But when they plant them in flower or veggie beds, I have to yank them out.

Courtney,

Today, the funeral procession took us from the Ardmore Convention Center on the north side of Ardmore, all the way down Hwy. 77 into Marietta (about 25 miles), and then west on Hwy. 32 for miles and miles and miles to Leon.

Guess what I saw ALL along the way.....mimosa trees, everywhere, and in full, glorious bloom. If I saw one, I saw a hundred or more. Every size from tiny (4' tall and blooming!) to huge, covered in flowers, in yards of fancy homes and simple ones....in yards with fairly elaborate landscaping, to un-landscaped pastures with just the mimosa tree and the house. I was thinking that if you were with us, traveling down those roads, you just wouldn't believe how many mimosas we were seeing!

Seeing them all reminded me one more time how much I love the way they look. And, they do reseed vigorously, as Lisa said. I saw one in the hwy. median on I-35 on our way up to Ardmore, and another in a creekbed a couple of miles south of Marietta.

Dawn

• jessaka
    15 years ago

I love mimosa trees as well. I have pulled up dozens in the back yard where it is all forest, and I have half a mind to allow one to try to make it through all the dense trees. I even wish I could keep one as a bush. I don't know where the trees are coming from because I have not seen any on our property that are grown.

• noritaarf
    15 years ago

I can't say enough good stuff about MY mimosa tree. It is called "Summer Chocolate", it is one of the most spectactular trees EVER! all the nice parts of the mimosa, (fast growing, beautiful form and blooms) but without all the seedlings and the most incredible deep burgandy foliage! You will LOVE this tree. It is expensive, if you can find it, but is worth twice the price!!! I was going to post a pic, but I don't see an "upload" button on this message... I'll post it on a separate message.

• oklaherb
    15 years ago

There are a zillion reasons why serious gardeners in Oklahoma should plant Mimosa Trees. Here are a few:

1) They are fabulous and gorgeous.
    2) They survived the recent ice storm year (take a drive through Pauls Valley and you will see these trees all over the place, all unharmed and beautiful).
    3) They survive the wind.
    4) They are drought tolerant.

A story about our lovely Mimosa Tree. We have this crabby neighbor. This neighbor is one of those "worst nightmare neighbors." She is a mean lady; she screams at her poor old husband so loud we can hear her when we are inside our house and she is inside her house. She sent the poor old man over to our house one day to complain about the Mimosa Tree flower pedals that were dropping on our lawn. Yes, on our lawn. He told us she wanted a tree like ours, but did not like to see those flower pedals messing up our lawn. He asked me if I knew where he could buy her a similar tree that bloomed like our Mimosa but did not shed flower pedals all over the lawn. I said, "Oh, what she wants is called a plastic tree."

I hope you plant as many Mimosas as you can fit. They are our favorite trees.

Cheers,

OklaHerb

• oklaherb
    15 years ago

Flower PETALS

=^)

• jessaka
    15 years ago

i thought that I had posted to this, but maybe not. While we are on the subject, is it possible to keep a mimosa the size of a big shrub? If so, how? I have dozens coming up and keep pulling them, but I would love them as shrubs, maybe 4 feet tall. I just have no room for anymore tall trees.

• bizydiggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went home to Nebraska for the holiday, and while I was there I mentioned to my Dad that I had finally figured out what kind of tree Grandma had in her yard. (Mimosa) Dad lives on a golf course, and has REFUSED to let my Mom plant any trees in the backyard becuase he likes the "view" of the golf course. However, when I told Dad about the Mimosa, he has now agreed to let Mom plant a tree in the backyard, as long as it's a Mimosa tree!

I guess the love of this tree runs in the family :) I don't know how invasive they are up there, but I'm going to research the "Summer Chocolate" that noritaarf mentioned... hopefully that will be hardy in Nebraska too. Dad gets a little frustrated with my Mom becuase she comes to visit and buys plants that she thinks are beautiful, but are "one hit wonders" in Nebraska LOL! I try to tell her that they aren't hardy to zone 5, but she doesn't care, as long as she gets to enjoy them for a little while she's happy :)

Courtney

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Jessaka,

Sometimes, you can keep a tree like mimosa a little more shrubby but the method used is somewhat risky and probably would only work for a few years. There's two ways I can think of, and the first way is more likely to work than the second one.

1) At the end of the growing season, take a saw (handsaw or chainsaw) and cut the entire tree trunk off right above ground level. Nine times out of ten it will resprout in the spring. If it resprouts with multiple sprouts, you'll get that shrubby look. The danger with this method, though, is that it might die and not resprout. Since you have tons of them coming up in the forest-type area of your yard, though, you could afford to experiment with this method.

2) When one sprouts that you like, cut the bottom out of a 2 or 3 gallon black plastic pot (the kind shrubs are in when you buy them) and place it in the ground around that plant. I think the roots will be restricted by the barrier of the black pot, and that would keep the plant smaller.

Another way would be to grow it in a container where the size of the container limits how large the mimosa could grow.

Dawn

• jessaka
    15 years ago

thanks dawn. i will try the first way and then a container at the same time.

• jessaka
    15 years ago

i have changed my mind about mimosa trees even though i don't have a large one growing in my yard, perhaps it is next door. but i have 1/2 acre, and the back part of my acreage is full of baby mimosa. i have pulled up more than 50 and don't have nearly half up. when it rains more sprout. may as well have weeds coming up. i am not going to even think of growing one. i don't need these things in my lawn.