SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh_palm_crazy

Look at what I found at Lowe's today!!!

josh_palm_crazy
15 years ago

Today I stopped at Lowe's to have a look around. I was strolling through the normal old tropical section and I saw what I thought were Chinese Fans in the distance. I couldn't see the bottoms only the tops of the fronds. So I started to walk towards the area and HOLY CRAP! There were four 5-6ft Washingtonia robustas! This is a big deal for Chambersburg PA. They've never had these before. I figured they'd cost anywhere between $50-$70. When I looked at the tag I was stunned. They were $27!!! Check it out!

Am I wrong, or are those filifera on the tag?

Sorry. I'm in need of a tan really bad. LOL!

I figured what the hell and threw it in the ground. I don't think we'll get any robusta killing temps from here on out. If we do get a freeze and anything burns at all, it'll get replaced quickly later in the spring and summer. Its also my style to plant at not so normal times. Call me crazy. It just finished raining, its 58°F and its extremely windy. I planted my trachy last April 8th when it was 40°F. Here's the pics.

One of the best shots I could get in the wind.

Jacob for scale.

Thanks for looking!

Jay

Comments (29)

• palmloverny
    15 years ago

Nice find, I'd say a steal!
    I can't believe how tall it is too.

Now I have to get to Lowes, a couple of these would look nice at my dad's house.

good luck with it, and work on that tan. ;)

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

Very nice buy! Did you find it inside with the tropicals or outside? Any idea when they got them in? About the best thing our Lowe's here has is 10 foot Majesties for $30, but I'd love to find a Washy that size.

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ryan. Thanks. It is Ryan right? They were inside with the tropicals. The manager said they arrived yesterday and that the nursery that sent them (Means Nursery) put the wrong price on them. Don't ask me why they didn't change it once they got them in. Usually my Lowe's has nothing to cheer about. Just the normal tropicals like every other Lowe's. I sit here typing and I still can't believe I saw those when I walked in. How's the weather up there?

Jay

• knotz
    15 years ago

Wow you got a great deal!!!...Me too, now I gotta go to Lowes and check them out..Thanks alot....lol :)

knotz

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

What a total score! shipping for that bad boy would be 4x that much,somebody up there likes you Jay-LOL
    That sucker ought to grow 5-8 leaves this year,it will be fun to see what it does this year and you know those roots are just waiting to spread out after be cramped like that so long,as soon as they do,watch out! Very cool-

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Jay that's awesome good price congrats yard looking good !

• david_
    15 years ago

Nice palm for 30 and they are pretty durable so even a little cold in the 30s probably won't hurt it.

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Knotz, Jim, Topher and David. The high wind last night beat the crap out of it. I'll have to cut at least three fronds off. They'll grow back quick though.

Jim - You think only 5-8? I was thinking like 10-14. These grow like crazy once they reach this size. Wanna place a wager anyone? LOL!

Topher - Your stuffs looking great also.

Jay

• wxman81
    15 years ago

I just got back from Lowes.... no robustas. :(

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I hope you do get 10-14!We don't have the long season like where they quote the growth rates on these,I should have also mentioned that part of the battle I had with mine last lear was the wind breaking off some of the new growth,it took my Washys and nannars about three new leaves to put out some that were wind resistant and this offset it's growth a little bit.I think these are grown close together and are not very sturdy at first but the do become so once the are acclimated,so,maybe next year it will get 10-14 but I hope it proves me wrong (-;

• bradleyo_gw
    15 years ago

You should get at least 10 new leaves this year. I got 13 last year on a plant that was much smaller. Once the weather gets really warm it should start pushing a new frond once a week.

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Yeah i do agree washys will surely push a new leaf a week in warm weather.

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

Isnt it great when the palms come to you instead of you going to them!! Grats

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Hi Josh, that looks like a real good find. How on earth they get them to grow in pots that size amazes me. We have had WR's for sale over here last year in a big DIY store, they were around 5ft tall and I'm sure they were priced at £49 i.e. $72!!! They were really rough looking with a few beat up leaves and DEFINITELY not worth the asking price.
    How are your last years seed sown WR's doing these days??.. no doubt they are bigger than mine...lol!!
    ...any pics?? I'm sure Jim will enjoy a pic also, you know he likes pics almost as much as you do!!
    Cheers, Gill.

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! Yeah Jim I hope it does prove you wrong. LOL! Just playing. I see what you mean. Last night the wind broke all but one frond, the newest partially opened frond and the spear are fine. At least they all broke together and it looks kind of cool. Not ideal but uniform. Check it out. Btw, it's nice to hear from you again Brad.

Gill - Its great to hear from you too! Sadly my seed grown robusta died last week. I finally got 2 fronds to grow after the mite attack. Then all of the sudden it went limp and shrivled up and died. I think it was root or bud rot. There is one of my seed grown WRs left that I gave to my friend. Its ok I found a replacement for mine. LOL! Also Gill, I think the one I got was grown in the ground or in a bigger pot. Then they dug it up and heeled it into that pot. Got any pics of yours?

Jay

Check it out.

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Gill it is amazing where a washy will grow that pot is very small !

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

Yes Jay, it's Ryan. The weather here has been kinda disappointing so far this spring, with only a couple days in the 60s and the rest in the 50s. Is a 70 plus degree day too much to ask for? LOL Soon enough I guess, and we'll have the air conditioning cranked up. The trees are finally about ready to leaf out.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

We have had 70s and near 80 here but I think it will be a month from the last time we did until we see that again,just above freezing at night from here out would be good!
    Jay,Gill,my last Washy seedling had spear pull too and is probably dead,I think all the spraying I did for spider mites got into the crown and got infected,in the future I think I will claen the leaves individualy,I lost more palms indoors than out!

Jay,maybe my Washy did put out like 7 leaves last year including the ones that broke so who knows,it will be interesting to see,it was not a very hot summer here last year at all,I think only- 6 -90F+ days so maybe with a hot summer mine will do better too!a leaf a week,WOW,that would be cool!
    Wxman wants 3' of trunk and you are thinking 10-14 and mine are better established now as this will be their 2nd year in the ground.We should all keep track and check in at the end of this season!Should be a lot of fun!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Josh & Jim, surprisingly I still have my 5 WR's, three have been in the house all winter, the other two stayed in the g/h, the housebound ones are much larger. My sis has hers and there are two more lurking way down in the south on the Isle of Wight! Two others I gave away got chomped by their cat at the early strap leaf stage.
    I too had probs with spider mites recently, so I stuck them all in the shower and washed them down and luckily they showed no sign of damage.
    I need to re-pot the biggest 3 as they have roots poking through the holes, but at present I have no pots of a suitable size except for drastically oversized ones width wise...but I need depth too...will it hurt to overpot them as I know you are always told to pot-on gradually?? I think I'm going to be really brave and plant one in the ground and just see what happens, I know I'm a total coward but I just hate to kill stuff!!
    Temps here been up to 60f today, but nights are cold at 35f for last nights minimum. Our summer can not be as bad as the last..surely not? I will be glad of a couple of new leaves never mind 7or8!! Will be interesting to see what growth I can get. I'll get a pic tomorrow as its pitch black dark now (9.25pm).
    Gill.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

As requested, here's an up to date pic of the 5 WR's showing their progress so far....you can tell the two that have been in the cool of the g/h all winter, far left and far right if you can't! Found myself sowing the remainder of the WR seeds last week and have another 6 sprouted so far.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Very nice Gill !

• mastiffhoo
    15 years ago

i have to ask... do you own that apartment (duplex)? I can't imagine, unless you were staying there lifetime, why you would plant all those there, like i said unless you own. In anycase, they look great! good luck!

• josh_palm_crazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looking good Gill! What happened to the sabal minors you started last year?

Mastiffhoo - LOL! No we don't own it. When we decide to leave in a few years. I'll dig all the palms up and take them with me. Maybe they'll live maybe they wont. I'm confident I can do it right. Luckily my landlords (Husband and Wife) love what I do. The first year I just planted everything without asking. "It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission". How are all your palms doing now? I'll bet they're taking off in that warm Virginia spring. LOL!

Jay

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Jim-Jay, yes, I guess they are doing "OK for the UK".
    BTW it's Sabal Minor if you please...note the singular as I had an accident with the plural one having clumsily snapped the smaller of the 2 clean in half!! Mind you the perisher deserved it. I think the name S.Minor is a very apt name...for mine is VERY VERY minor. In fact I won't even bother taking up space to post a pic as it has 3 measly strap leaves of 4in max!! They were planted in Dec '07 so at this snail pace, last weeks sproutings of WR's will overtake them in a few days!. WR's are much more fun...lol!!
    Happy Easter everyone.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

"It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission". How true! Well played sir.

"last weeks sproutings of WR's will overtake them in a few days!". Even funnier knowing it's true! You know there are some plams I really like but there just ain't no use gowing them cuz they do nothing,heres my short list-S.minor,T.nanus,C.humilus( a larger plant would probably remove this from the list but cold hardiness has to be factored in)Needle palms,these are hard to establish this far north but this is one I will probably keep trying as it is extremely hardy!Blue needle palm,I would like to try this again as I think my small one may have come back,they are very sloooow and I will replace with S.louisiana-anyway you get the point,this logic reverses when you consider something like a Washy,they may not be super cold hardy but they repay you with incredible growth!

• mastiffhoo
    15 years ago

Josh, the spring has been fairly warm - with the exception of this week. Suppose to be around 30 tonight - ouch! That is a shock to the system this time of the year. Palms are starting to show some activity and trees are getting greener with each new day.

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Robustas look great gill !

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Jim..I should have done my homework better as I just picked up on the eBayUK ad that said Sabal 'mini-minors' LOL! were cold hardy, I failed to find out about their growth rates. I do have patience, but this one is really testing me to the limit!!
    The Ch. Humilis that had the brown frond last year is pushing out two new ones (that's 3 since the bad one) and they look considerably bigger/fatter. Also my CIDP from seed is also busy making new fronds, so things are steadily waking up over here too...yawn! Spring is really quite sunny so far although temps get knocked back by cold winds and chilly nights, so I just hope and pray for a good summer as our growing season is usually relatively short. Will get some bigger pots this coming weekend as I'm sure the WR's (see post above) need to be repotted?
    Topher...thanks..hope your palms are doing well also!
    Regards to all, Gill.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Its the same here,spring started off early but has pulled back a little,hopefully by next week we will start the turn back to warm spring weather.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022