SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfatula

Moist soil around the house

Steve
9 years ago

Ok, you guys here know the weather in S Oklahoma. The only rain in July was one inch on July 2. Being 102 degrees and 11 days later, my yard is parched of course. However, around the house, near the brick walls of my new house, it remains moist. Not wet, not standing water, but, moist. The entire way around, whether mulched, or, bare dirt. I am not sure what this can possibly be from. I've watched the water meter for a few hours, with no household use, and, it does not move, so, that should rule out a leak. The soil away from the house is bone dry, seems like the odds of some sort of spring only under the exact center of the house or something odd would be slim. I have around 80 perimeter feet of garden beds, and, another 100' of nothing but dirt and weeds. All of them are moist, still. Not super wet. I am thinking of not even drip watering the mulched beds for now to see if it ever drys, though, supposedly inches of rain coming this week. I've only been dripping for 15 minutes, very slow drip at that.But, places 50 feet away with bare dirt exposed to sun are still slightly moist. This is so strange, can't even guess! Any ideas?

Could it be something like dew forming on the house and roof and dripping off early in the morning or over night? (I work nights, so, am never up). I don't know if that really happens here though.

Comments (11)