SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Control of Corn Earworm

chickencoupe
9 years ago

Golden Bantam Corn

I'm learning so much. It's so much fun that crop loss would be disheartening for Little Miss who has spotted the ears forming, but I could certainly live with it. I like to jiggle the plant and watch the puff of pollen in the air.

I'm still killing the occasional brown marmorated stink bug. Forget the corn. I don't want an infestation of those.

By now, the silks are forming and I've probably picked off five light green corn earworms (some caterpillar, anyway) in the last ten days. These remind me of the fall army worm but are very light green. I worry that there are some that I cannot see? What I find is, mostly, located on the silks. I see some silks that are chewed down (shorter) but nothing that would indicate burrowing into the silks. When the tassles were coming up I carefully inspected inside this area and found one dark worm with messy frass some other bug was enjoying. I killed it. have not seen a return of this kind nor the other bug. Now, most corn is at full tassle. Some not receiving as much light inside the patch is just now putting on tassles.

I treated once with spinosad before the last rain. Should it be applied directly to the plant and the soil beneath? That's what I did at the time.

Is there anything else I can do to protect the ears?

They look GREAT. Planted too close for Bantam growth but most are satisfied even without supplemental feeding in well amended soil. The only real problem is my inability to reach in for pest control. I didn't know Bantam grows three stalks with one seed. I've seen pictures of dent, I guess, and thought all corn was punier. And all those stalks have, at least, one ear. Yay!

I see many different spiders including some dead ones that lost a battle, lots of different flies that look like cluster or house flies, tachinid flies, some grasshoppers hiding in there, not really any frass, some holes indicating corn earworm (for a couple weeks now which is why I'm scouting), some stink bug damage on leaves, browning at the bottom of the stalks and on the outer edges of the lower leaves, lady bugs and the occasional flea beetle.

Thanks

bon

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022