SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozlifter

Tulsa Garden Centers ???

ozlifter
16 years ago

Hello. I'm making a trip to Tulsa tomorrow, and I might have a little extra time to do some shopping.

I'm hoping to find a few places with a good selection of unique and/or inexpensive perennials.

I'm not too familiar with Tulsa, so does anyone have any suggestions? If you could include an address, that would even be better.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• katrina1
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry ozlifter that I did not check the OK forum this month at all before today. I know June 18 is long past now on this very early wee hours of the June 21 morning.

But for any of your future visits to Tulsa, I wanted to give you a list of three nurseries which I like the best in Tulsa.

Directly in Tulsa, my favorite one is Stringer Nursery on south 41st street. Address: 7203 E. 41st Street. That is not far from the 41st street exit off of I44 in midtown Tulsa. their selection and service is very good.

My most favorite nursery; due to the very best service I have found, is Colebrooks nursery in Berryhill; which is a small town in west Tulsa. Their address is 5915 W. 31st Street. The easiest way to that nursery is to take the West 51st street exit off I44 which is west of the Arkansas River in Tulsa. At the end of the exit ramp go straight through the light. The road will wind and twist until you get to the next light which is West 41st street. At that light you will turn left and you will immediately see another stoplight. At this almost immediate next light turn right onto what I believe is 57 West Ave. (Not certain of that street number, but you will be on the correct street if you turned right almost immediately after turning left onto West 41st street.) At that point, you should be driving north, so keep going for about a mile to the first stop sign. At that stop sign turn left and the nursery's entrance is the second turn-in on your right. They are building a new entrance on the corner at the first turn on the right, but as of this month it is not yet ready for them to move there.

I am amazed at how well Colebrooks has maintained their Nursery; since last winter ice storms brought down several of their large greenhouses, early this Spring around Easter they sustained a lot of loss from the weather getting too warm a few weeks earlier, and then several nights of hard freeze occured over the Easter week following the time when so many of their trees and shrubs had already broken dormancy due to the earlier unseasonable warm-up. In the last couple of weeks, the owners have been out of the country due to a family health crisis. Even with all that they have done a good job keeping their nursery staffed and stocked. It has been much better cared for than could be expected considering all the struggle they have encountered, along with trying to get the new building finished; which they earlier had desired to be moved into by this spring.

The third nursery in the area which I like is in Southeast Broken Arrow. It is Sanders Nursery. This nursery has a huge selection, sells to the public and even supplies some of the larger Tulsa nurseries that I have not mentioned, due what I considered either bad or difficult to obtain service and also due to my general lack of interest in their selections.

Sanders Nursery that I mentioned in southeast Broken Arrow is located at 20705 E 161st Street. I usually spend more for what I get there. There also have been times when I got some potted plants from them and found the same plant, better developed, in a nicer form, better price, and sometimes in larger pot size at Colebrooks.

For me, the drive to Sanders nursery seems to be quite long. Because of that I usually only go there if they happen to have an item I am looking for; which Stringer Nursery does not have, and which I would otherwise have to wait for Colebrook to order for me.

The easiest way to get to the Sander's nursery from Tulsa is to access S 131st street in Broken Arrow and drive East on South 131st street all the way to 193 East Ave. You would then make a right onto 193 East Ave. Continue driving on 193 East Ave. until you see the entrance for Sander's nursery. 193rd East Ave twists and turns enough that by the time you see the entrance for Sanders Nursery the address you will be at is what I listed above (20705 E. 161 Street, Broken Arrow, OK.)

Depending on what direction you would be coming from; it might be best if you pulled up a Rand Mcnally website and got driving directions to the Sanders Nursery, because there might be a faster and easier route you could take: a route of which I am currently not aware.

I know this response has already gotten way too long, but It would be bad, if I did not also tell you about our best rose nursery in the area. All the nurseries I listed above sell some very nice roses, but if you want great service and the opportunity to order hard to find and unusual rose cultivars in the fall, which the owner will bring in bare root and pot up in February for them to grow in his greenhouses and for him to harden off the new growth and get them ready for you to purchase and pick-up in the following April, I need to tell you about Roses Inc Tulsa LLC. This business is located behind the owner's residence at 12323 E 132 South in Broken Arrow, OK.

In addition to being able to order roses like I described above, the owner also keeps hundreds of rose cultivars stocked for sale in his multiple green houses and also ones which are displayed well and growing in pots outside. The owner gives great personal service, but it's best to go during his weekday open hours, because his weekend business is usually so heavy there can often be times when customers have to wait their turn to speak with the owner; for better advice than what his student helpers might be able to provide.

Also, you can often find the owner along with the Tulsa Rose society offering mini Weekend events at his business. This Spring they featured a well known guest speaker who offered English rose information, and presented some of the newest and best English rose cultivar introductions; offering them for sell in Tulsa exclusively at that event.

• ozlifter
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the information Katrina. I'll file it away for the next time I travel to Tulsa. I'm sure it will come in quite handy.

I ended up only going to Home Depot. They didn't have much of a selection, but I bought some coreopsis.