SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

help me get rid of this horrible prickly weed

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

I honestly don't care if I have weeds in my yard or garden, but this one is different.

It is about 1/2 to 1 inch tall max. It grows in the sod, and gets these horrible prickers, which I am sure are the seeds. I have no photo, I am sorry. I wish I did. The weed looks sort of like curly parsley or the top of a carrot. It has no flowers. It is rather cute really, except those seeds! It tends to form a carpet with no grass in between.

The dog and I hate them. I go bare foot all the time due to my chemical sensitivity to shoes (my feet up to my knees go numb in response to the toxic things shoes are made from, and my feet hurt terribly too)

I want to pull all the stuff, up, but I know that is not the answer. First off, weeds grow in response to a problem, so they would probably regrow. Plus, since it is in seed now it would drop all those seeds.

The other issue is it would leave huge areas of bare soil. It tends to grow in afternoon sun by trees on the west side of the house in the back yard. It is almost exclusive in those areas. It does not grow in heavy shade under trees. It will grow in the front yard but only here and there. It is in the sunnier areas of the back and side yards but spotty as well. I was trying to figure out if it grew in lower or higher spots, wet or dry areas. The only thing I could isolate is afternoon shade on the west side.

I was thinking maybe mulch or compost over the whole area would increase fertility. We get this stuff every year. I am not sure if it dies back come summer. Since it is in seed now I would assume it is a annual I have to avoid those areas once seeds set. I would have yanked them before they set seeds, but I was unsure which weed was doing it. We have this other weed nearby that has fluffy seed balls now that I thought could be the problem. Now I know which one. the fluffy seeded weed tends to like the front yard! It is also cute until it gets these balls of cotton.

I would think the best solution would to plant something different there to replace that horrible plant! Not sure what would put up with our Texas weather. Moist in spring dry and hot as heck all summer. I look on the web for things to plant there, but most sites and books are aimmed at the north.

I found that cotton looking weed on-line recently, but lost all my bookmarks, so I don't know what it is. It is European in origin though. I never found the painful one.

Any help would greatly be appreciated the my feet and the paws of my dog.

Comments (14)

Sponsored