SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlettfourseasonsrv

Preserving or Pickling Garlic

I've been stingily dipping into my harvested garlic for a few cooking treats, because I wanted to save most of it for replanting.

But the other day I was thinking about the medicinal effects of garlic and starting browsing this link I'd saved. You know how one thing leads to another..so the next thing was, I found myself peeling a couple nice bulbs of garlic and using the refrigerator method of pickling them.

Just raw apple cider vinegar to cover and a little sea salt. Give it a shake, bottle and cap it and it's done.

Nice!

Now I may have to buy some silverskins at the store and do a couple quarts in order to start "aging" it. Since apparently the longer it's pickled the more "some" of the medicinal effects take place.

Another type of preservation I will need to try is dehydration, which it says this method preserves all the allicin component of the garlic.

I need this! I've had two sinus infections this year, and two rounds of antibiotics. After the recent rains I could feel another one coming on. So, this time I mashed up a fresh big garlic clove and let it set for 15 min to develop the medicinal allicin. Then I spread all of it on a piece of fritatta and ate the whold thing.

My lips and mouth began to burn and I thought, "oh no, this is going to set my stomach on fire too!"..But it didn't! What did happen next was my sinuses opened up, and cleared.

Then last night I just popped a small whole one like you would a vitamin capsule. Today, no sign of infection or sinus congestion. Oh blessed relief! I've suffered with these things for years.

This could get to be a habit. I'm only going to do this at night when I don't have to "waft" on anyone if I have company or go shopping. Good thing I'm single or I couldn't get away with this, LOL!

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving & Pickling Garlic

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH