SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belgianpup

Source of pigeon peas

Belgianpup
14 years ago

For those of you in the northern U.S. especially, I finally found a source of pigeon peas (Cajanus cajan, aka Congo pea, no-eye pea, red gram): ethnic grocery stores (esp Hispanic, probably others). I paid $1 for a pound of them (bagged). In Spanish, they are called 'gandules', but the bag I found was labeled clearly with both the English and Spanish names.

Since I wanted to grow them, I needed to know if they had been heat-treated or anything to prevent them from sprouting.

I soaked a quarter cup of them overnight and then put them on a damp (not wet) paper towel in a plastic bag and kept them in a warm place (top of the fridge). THEY DO REQUIRE WARMTH TO GERMINATE. I got a 65% germination rate, so I'll plant half again as many as I want plants.

Pigeon peas are a very good source of protein (usually about 20%) and contains most of the essential amino acids. They are used for people food, chicken feed, fodder/green browse, and as a green manure legume cover crop.

For use as a nitrogen-producing cover crop, the seeds will need to be inoculated with the same rhizobia soil bacteria as is used for cowpeas, peanuts and lespedeza. You can get it from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply at http://groworganic.com/item_ISE200_Cowpea_Peanut__Lespedeza_Inocula.html A small $5 bag will inoculate up to 100 lbs of seed.

Pigeon pea hardiness varies, so in the cooler parts of the country should probably be treated as annuals. Some varieties will survive in light frost areas.

Soak them overnight before planting, drain, then stir in your inoculant, which will stick to the damp seeds, and plant immediately. Since my source has a relatively low germination rate (65%), I intend to pre-sprout the seeds just long enough to see which ones are viable, and then sow them in deep cups indoors.

Sow 1" deep. Soil must be at least 68ºF (20ºC) for germination. If your soil is warm, sow directly in the ground; if you have cool springs (like in the PNW), start indoors like any cold-sensitive plant, and transplant to 12" apart. From sowing to first harvesting of the crop is about 140 days.

Sue

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz