SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiopeppers

Buying seeds on eBay for newbies

ohiopeppers
14 years ago

I recently bought hot pepper seeds on ebay from the seller called frankflynn. I never received my seeds which I paid for on Jan.3rd.

Avoid this seller entirely. He is collecting seeds from hybrid plants and then selling them as the named variety.

Of course these seeds may not actually produce plants that are true to type, but he never states that in his listings.

I filed a claim against him a received a nasty reply that he obtained the pepper variety from Johnnys, and I could buy it there and pay more. He helpfully provided a web site for Johnnys.com which is not the true web site for Johnnys Selected Seed. Of course web sites are a moot point, because the real johnnys does not sell this variety.

I am still waiting for a refund.

So what have I learned?

I have learned that it may be best to avoid eBay for pepper seeds. If I have a must have variety or one that I can't find from a commercial source,I'll try posting it on this forum and someone might me able to direct me to a source for that variety.

I have learned to read the item description carefully and ask the seller questions before bidding. If the seller doesn't answer my questions I'll look elsewhere.

I have learned to make sure that if I am buying hybrid seeds, that the seller clearly states that the seed was obtained from commerical sources. Then buy at my own risk.

I have learned that feedback is meaningless for seeds. Positive feedback usually refers mostly to shipping speed and safe arrival. I don't think that people go back and change their feedback when months later when their plants are nothing like the item that was described.

I do not mean to imply all eBay sellers are deceptive, because I have had good experiences buying geraniums and petunias from Mary's Garden on eBay. She is a seller who repackages seed from commercial sources.

So I would advise newbies avoid eBay for peppers and buy other seeds at your own risk.

I hope this helps .

Karen

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting