SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rodrifc

Free Seeds: Passiflora 'Royale' x quadrangularis

rodrifc
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just harvested five fruit from my Passiflora 'Royale' vine, and have prepared them for sowing. All the fruit were hand-pollinated with P. quadrangularis pollen, a close relative, which should make for very viable seeds. I'm going to plant a few, but I obviously can't grow them all. So if you are interested in a pack, just send me a message so that you can send me a self-addressed envelope.

I think the hybrids these seeds will produce are better for ornamental purposes, but you might be able to get some fruit off of them. Passiflora 'Royale' fruit isn't that great - it's more or less edible, but I think it has a barely noticeable strange smell. The fruit from the P. quadrangularis used as the male parent is excellent, however. I would say it's one of the best passion fruit I've tasted. It has a very good taste, and it isn't as acidic as P. edulis flavicarpa. Even the thick outer pith was very sweet and edible (in Cuba, my aunt would make a delicious dessert by blending the ENTIRE fruit - pulp and pith - and then straining the seed fragments). So this hybrid should have intermediate qualities, but you would need at least two seedlings so they can pollinate each other, or other compatible passion vines.

Passiflora quadrangularis:

Passiflora 'Royale' - P. macrocarpa x (x decaisneana)

Comments (33)

Sponsored