SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Thinking about going back outdoors with palms, others -- ???

denninmi
15 years ago

Hello, I've got a pretty big collection of "hardy" subtropicals -- windmills, needles, sabals, pindos, European fans, Washingtonias, Chinese fans. Also, a lot of other things, camellias, gardenias, bottlebrush, Musa, and so forth -- you get the idea.

I USED to have this stuff outdoors over the winter, inside a shelter/structure. It worked pretty well except for the rodents (voles mostly, some deermice and red squirrels) getting into things and trashing them.

So, about 3 or 4 springs ago, I got disgusted and dug it all back up and potted it. It has since overwintered in a marginally heated garage and some also in the basement.

Problem is, I want my house back. It's all getting big, taking up a lot of room, and it's a lot of work hauling in and hauling out.

I'd like to make ONE good, permanent bed that I can put a good quality, insulated structure over for the winter (I'm sort of thinking a very heavy duty foam box type structure with a cheap plastic hoophouse over that, as a double layer of protection and to pick up solar gain from the sun on brighter days (not that we have that many of those in Michigan in the winter).

My questions are:

1) Do you think I can come up with a reliable rodent-proofing strategy? I'm pretty much thinking about wrapping EVERYTHING very tightly in a hardware cloth cage each fall, and even excavating the planting bed prior to installation and lining that with the same. Then, also using LOTS of poison bait and traps.

2) Those of you who are heating structures over the winter, how much is it costing you? I don't foresee it being economically realistic for me to run an actual space heater in there (I used to heat my greenhouse over the winter, but it was just too expensive), but I think running a number of lights might be do-able. Only need to keep the temp in the low to mid 20's, right?

I've been inspired to do this by all of you on here who have these GREAT photos of hardy subtropicals in the most unlikely places, like Iowa, Utah, Niagra region of Canada, etc.

Thanks for your input.

Dennis

SE Michigan

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths