SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

U. S. Drought Monitor Maps June 23, 2009

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Linked below you will find this week's U. S Drought Monitor maps and date.

If you look at them, you'll note several things.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like the areas in Oklahoma that are classified as 'abnormally dry' and 'moderate drought' are enlarging.

Also, the map is "upside down" this year compared to last year.....last year the worst parts were down south and the wetter parts were up north in the state.

I also didn't realize Louisiana was having drought issues until I looked at the U.S. map that says "How much rain do we need?"

Parts of Texas still look horrible.

The Keetch-Byram Drought Index maps are great for helping us understand our soil moisture levels via their color coding. The easy way to read this map? Green is good, and the farther away on the color scale, the worse it gets. Anything over 500 before fall is troubling. Anything over 600 before winter is a near-disaster in the making.

Tune in next week to see if we're getting drier or wetter, although I suspect we all know which one it will be.

And, in case you're wondering how we can go from "too wet" to "too dry" so quickly.....it has to do with our soils and their ability (or, maybe, their inability) to hold moisture. After roughly three calendar weeks with very little to no rain, we can find find ourselves falling into a drought classification.

One thing that worries me about a bunch of y'all who aren't in drought yet is that you're slip-sliding into it, and I'm talking about people like Dorothy and Scott and George who generally don't have a lack of rainfall in their area.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: This Week's U. S. Drought Monitor

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting