SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Horrible Weather in Iowa, Kansas, Indiana

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I know we are used to horrendous storm damage here in Oklahoma, and it comes in so many forms.....ice storms, wind storms, tornadoes, floods, gigantic hail, wildfire, etc. Despite some of those things that have happened to us weatherise this year, I can't help thinking we are pretty fortunate this year.

After working out in the yard for several hours this morning, I came in to cool off and rest for a little while. I turned on the news channel and saw the terrible storm damage in several states.....the scout camp that was hit by a tornado (oh, my, I can't believe some of the kids died...how devastating for all who loved them), the towns and Kansas State Univ. that also were hit by a tornado, the flooding in Cear Rapids, IA, where a train bridge collapsed today with a train on it and another 3" of rain has fallen and even more continues to fall (sigh). It seems like the weather disasters just won't stop this year.

It sure puts everything in perspective, doesn't it? The wind rages here today, and I find it annoying. It dries out the garden and beats stuff up and I worry about the plants. Then I come inside and turn on the news and, you know what....it is all small stuff here compared to what is happening elsewhere. I am so grateful that my biggest worry is dehydrated and wilting plants, dry soil and a few limbs down or plants flattened here and there. I know there are many people hurting today and grieving and my problems aren't even problems at all compared to what they have gone through and are going through.

So, I'm feeling blessed and thankful. For us here in southern OK, La Nina is pretty kind--all we have is hotter and drier weather than usual, and I'll take that over all the rain and destruction elsewhere. I just feel so sad for those people who are struggling to deal with all the weather disasters today. Now they are showing a levee breach in Cedar Rapids on TV and I am watching a huge rush of water flowing into a neighborhood. Sad. It is just so sad.

Dawn

Comments (3)