SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stylus_gw

Impossible to Acclimatize an Archontophoenix for Cali Desert Sun?

stylus
17 years ago

Hi:

I had an Archontophoenix Cunn. that has been growing in a pot in Coastal So. Cali for over 2 years in full sun beautifully.

I gave it to a relative who lives in the High Desert. Zone 8b 9a.

Night time lows in the Upper Desert have been in the upper 40's to mid 50's F and daytime highs have been in the upper 60's low 70's F. Even though the temps have been ideal, the palm is already showing signs of leaf and trunk burn after 4 days. The palm only gets sun for about 3hrs per day. The palm is watered well and misted daily.

Is it even remotely possible to acclimatize these types of palms for partial day sun in the Desert if given a head start while the sun is still relatively cool during the early spring months? I know full summer sun would be King Palm suicide. LOL. She would only leave it outside during the warmer months as the Upper Desert is prone to extreme low temps especially between Nov and Feb.

The last time she tried to raise a King Palm up there during the summer months resulted in a black crispy palm only after 6 hrs of sunshine. We thought that by starting one of them off during the cooler months would give it a chance to get somewhat used to the sun's intensity before it gets hotter.

Just 25 miles south of her in Fontana CA. these things grow just fine even enduring 100 + temps without too much difficulty.

It's so funny that the sun can be so much more intense just a few minutes away.

Thanks for reading!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner