SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

Calling all greenhouse people - HELP!

okwriter
16 years ago

Hi, all. I did a forum search and see we have some very smart greenhouse people here! I am in in NW Oklahoma (Enid) and would appreciate your help. WARNING: I am not a gardener per se, so forgive me for using the wrong terms. *smile*

About 7-8 years ago, my dad bought this greenhouse. We hauled it home, put it together a few years later and let it sit. Last summer we finally had the plastic put on it and we have since installed the sliding corrugated plastic side things. This photo was taken the day the guys came to put on the plastic.

Dad has been tinkering in there since winter, but we would LOVE to start using it quasi-commercially, as my folks' home (which is just a few miles from me) sits on a very well-traveled road just outside the city limits. (People stop all the time wanting to know if they're selling anything from the greenhouse.)

Anyway, our plan is to do some -- gee, why can't I think of what they're called??? -- uh, like cold frames (?) along the outside edge beneath the bottom shelf to perhaps gain a zone and grow some cold crops in January-February. We also want to get an early start on tomatoes, too, of course!

Problem is, we know nothing about greenhouses, so I'd like to learn from some of your experiences. We have extension cords out there but will run power. How much power do we need for lights, heat, etc? What kind of heat do you recommend? We're thinking propane would be easiest, but what kind of heater? I'm also intrigued by hot water (in tubes?) to heat the soil. Do you just plumb a hot water heater and recirculating system? Do you have watering systems? What kind - and/or what do we need other than a hose? *LOL* What do you think we should plant and when should we start?

You'll probably need info I haven't provided - sorry! We're just a little overwhelmed. (Excited, but overwhelmed!)

THANK YOU in advance for any advice! Rita

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH