SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Cabbage Worms, Etc.

chickencoupe
12 years ago

I wasn't going to concern myself too greatly about pesticide. The little plants I've had so far are doing well despite temperature, weather, normal bugs, drought and my inexperience. Technically, they should not be alive. With that I've loosened up a little bit in my pursuit of perfectionist gardening.

There were eggs in my worm bin. I wondered what they were. For some time I've viewed maggots attaching themselves to my worms attempting to eat them alive. I know fly maggots can be pretty disgusting but this aggressive behavior was quite puzzling. Whilst studying about organic pest control for gardening I noticed that egg belongs to a cabbage fly maggot. I know I've seen a great many cabbage flies in the house and everywhere as well as:

Variety of leaf hoppers

Typical Aphids

Tiny grass hopper-like bugs (a lot). Are they just baby grasshoppers? They were in the process of destroying my mint plants; of all things.

My butt was planted directly in the dirt of my garden while scooping up nice soil for my carrot bed and adding some bagged manure. There it was. The horror of all horrors - a root maggot in my bed already! Certainly it was quite upset that my husband's tilling disrupted it's all you can eat buffet but that wasn't sufficient for me. I had to kill it.

As I sat digging I watched the bugs that landed on my leg. I possessively raised my hand to kill it when I thought about all the pictures I reviewed this morning. Familiar. So were five other bugs that came around. Here I sit in a 42 foot by 35 foot pile of dirt and these bugs are landing on me. My god, how many are there? I am seriously have a big bug ecology. I'll be happy to trade them for Padilla's snakes and tarantulas!

I looked into row cover material but it's just not something I can afford at the magnitude I need. I'm looking forward to approximately eight to ten cabbage plants. 4 to six Brussels and approximately 20 broccoli.

So, any and all suggests and experience are certainly welcome. I think I'll be needing it all. lol

*hugs*

bon

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022