SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cattman_gw

coconut temptation

cattman
13 years ago

Cape Coral area here.... Bought my home in Summer '09 on a big blank lot, have been adding coconuts both years. The '09-'10 winter wiped out nearly everything I'd put in, except for 4 small golden malayans in the front. Last year I put in some larger coconuts with about a foot or two of clear trunk. This past December was bad, mid-February we turned warm and haven't looked back. All coconuts started growing, but now suddenly 3 of my 4 green maypans look like they're in a rapid decline.

A couple weeks ago I stumbled across a palm nursery that's been bought to be converted into a horse farm. Rows and rows of potted palms, look like they were abandoned a couple months or more ago. Area went to 24 degrees, so some palms are living and some are not.

The guy is willing to let the coconuts go for pennies on the dollar. The goldens have new growth rising up from the centers, so clearly have decided to live.

Here's my dilemma: All palms have rooted through the bottoms of their pots, so are going to get a shock when they get chopped loose from there to go home with me. If I even do this at all, is now a good time to transplant coconuts, or is it still too cool? (Where I live we're hitting about 81 every day, dropping to 60 every night.)

In the same vein, a friend told me that someone in Boynton Beach area is advertising big coconuts (field-grown, I'm assuming) for $50 apiece. I have the same fear; I haven't seen them but all the palms over that way that I HAVE seen, have cold damage on them.

I need to add several more coconuts to complete the planting plan I have for my property, and with spring having come so early, this looks like it could be the year to do it. But with two rough winters in a row, I've not had great success getting coconuts established here. Maybe it's just the maypans I need to worry about; maybe the golden malayans are the answer.

Any input would be appreciated. (And hey, for you South Floridians, I'd be happy to find a buddy to go plant shopping with. I run to Homestead about once a month, am not averse to making some plant buddies on East or West FLA Coast. Check out my profile here and let me know.)

Thanks again!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!