SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Some new pics after clean up and lifting covers(-:

jimhardy
14 years ago

Here are some pics I took today.

I cleaned up the Imbricata and Opuntia,I am seriously thinking of

not reenlisting these as they are so good at holding water that it becomes their undoing

(literally undoing their branches)and I don't think they warrant the effort.

I also pulled the front down on the cactus bed as it gets way to hot even with an open end and the fan on.

Also got a chance to uncover the Sabals and Needles and look at some other stuff.

The Sabals and Needles look pretty good considering the winter we've had and

the fact that they are just getting mature*fan leaves which are much more cold resistant than straps.

My unheated Y.aloifolia plants look pretty nasty but we'll see,the spears may go but they may resprout from the trunks,

no big deal if they don't-it was just a experiment,tough winter for it though..

What else,oh yea-I am leaving a Waggie uncovered from here on out.

I sprayed it with freeze pruf and it will be covered if it rains/snows.

I want to know if it is worth keeping them covered this time of year as it is tough to keep them cool as they are.

I uncovered the Washy today too,besides some toasty leaves it has done great.

IF you look closely up the newest spear leaf you will see it has grown 10"or so since Jan 13

(last time I looked at it),over an inch per week in winter,not bad.

This guy should take off this year!

I forgot to mention my T.tesan seedling made it!

So here are some pics.

WASHY

B.ERIOSPATHA

S.LOUISIANA

NEEDLE PALMS

WAGGIE,TOSSED OUT IN THE COLD!

CACTUS BED,LOOKS BETTER WITHOUT THE IMBRICATA AND OPUNTIA WHICH WERE BLOCKING OUT SOME OTHER STUFF-MOTHER NATURE MAY HAVE DONE ME A FAVOR!

:lol:

BONUS PICS!

{{gwi:639859}}

{{gwi:639864}}

Comments (48)

• knotz
    14 years ago

Nice Jim!!...Looks like they'll be just fine!!...Here's hoping you guys DON'T get no more snow or cold!!

knotz

• islandbreeze
    14 years ago

Everything looks great Jim! Where did you get the Louisianas?

• Related Discussions

new pump suggestions and oil clean up

Q

Comments (6)
    Joe, Thank you,We will go and take a look at the performance pros.. The only thing we have concerns about with the externals is where to put them? With the water garden built off the side of the house, the top falls(not used often) water pipe is actually under the rock up to the roof (15 foot straight up lift).I believe we would have to go low ,down by what is a holding tank similar to a pond less feature. Can you tell me how large of area I would need to have to house the pump? We may be able to find a way to create a small space,, but with all the large stone we would have to bring in the skidster to move stone which right now is not an easy task. We do have a space in the block walls that hold the hot tub as well, but not sure how that would work for plumbing.Or if the pump running all the time would be to noticeable to those using the hot tub.. I guess I am off to research more. Thank you for your input we appreciate it. Mary
    ...See More

Spring Clean Up and Time to Start New Plants

Q

Comments (22)
    Temps here last week were in the 80s, so everything started really popping up and blooms pooping open. Very nice today too. Worked in the garden this morning wearing shorts and a tank top and my favorite flip-flops. So nice. I let My Girls out for an hour this morning to scratch around and eat bugs and grass. They have begun to lay eggs again and need the new grass to stimulate their egg production. They followed me around, clucking happily and singing their little sighing songs. So cute! The Jane Magnolia tree's flower buds have suddenly begun to swell and there are three flowers beginning to open. I sniffed one and oh, that sweet, one-of-a-kind fragrance! The honeybees and Hummingbird moths are out in droves today supping nectar from the purple Henbit flowers in the grass and visiting all the flowering shrubs. I've even seen butterflies for the past two weeks. Tulips preparing to bloom and hundreds of yellow jonquils, daffodils and purple Muscari Grape Hyacinths are blooming. Hostas and Peonies are poking their noses up through the soft earth and looking good. I could go on and on... The weather radio report yesterday predicts there will be lows in the mid-thirties in the next few days, dropping down into the low-20s on Friday night. Ain't that just DUCKY! If that happens, even if it is just for one night or one hour, I will surely bid a fond but sad farewell to most, if not all, of this year's spring flowers. .I can just kiss the Apricots goodbye...again...for a second year. It will spoil all the new tender growth on the roses and send all the little seedlings popping up in the garden to coldest Purgatory, Glad I didn't set out the Cole crops and onion sets. Unreal
    ...See More

Some before and after pics

Q

Comments (20)
    Nope. No deer. We do have other critters. Lots of birds. Turkey. Rabbits. Teenagers. There is also this amazing Siamese tomcat that we call Tank who hissed at my car as I was pulling out of the driveway! No kidding. Dared it to come any closer. My poor Toyota was traumatized. This cat is HUGE. Both ears half chewed off. I dread to think what might happen if the dogs decided to take him on. The Boston terrier would be cat food. Apparently this cat has been around for a while according to the neighbors. The king of the jungle and all that. We are just leasing this land from him. :o) I do like to walk around but not as much now it is so hot. In the back the chiggers are also pretty rough this time of year. It is the price of living in the country.
    ...See More

Some day I'll get new counters (pic hvy)...

Q

Comments (9)
    Your sign says "coffee time" - do you actually have your coffee pot out on the counter all the time? (although you could be like me and just zap water for instant). If so, could you switch the microwave and the coffeepot and make this a real coffee centre. Put up more mugs, a pretty sugar bowl etc, and then paint the cabinet a dark blue or a blue that will tie in the blues that you have in your sign and in the counter. Make it a go-to place for making tea and coffee - a little place in the kitchen with an extra splash of personality. The blue would look neat against your wall colour. (Although you could do the same thing even if you use the microwave for zapping hot water for coffee/tea.)
    ...See More
  • statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

All in all it looks great my plants all survived as well

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Overall it looks like you did have a lot of sucess this winter especially when you consider how crazy (and cold) it was. Your cactus are looking great (I liked the flowers on them) and your palms look like they are able to grow very fast once summer comes.
    I think all my palms will be uncovered by next weekend. Nights below freezing are starting to get rare (only one or 2 in the 10 day forecast) and I will recover my pindo palm when it rains or snows so it doesnt rot. And of course if it does get cold again (below 25) I will have to cover everything just to be on the safe side. But the weather is getting warmer so spring will be here soon.

Good luck

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

You made it thru an unbelieveable winter!

Just one month to go and most cold areas around the country are having some sort of thawing.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys/gals,
    Isb,I got the Sabals from North of Florida palms on E-bay.

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Great pics Jim! This thread reminded me to post an update on my outdoor palms.

I peeked in at my large trachy and it looks great. It appears it is trying to open new fans while tied up inside the enclosure. The largest spear now looks like it is 50% open, or st least trying to do so... My trachy has not been below the low 30s inside its enclosure all winter though.

Needle is a different story. I took off the large garbage can which is covering it yesterday. It is a dark green plastic garbage can which is built up a bit with mulch so it can cover the approx. 3-foot tall needle. Fronds are tied. All I had for heat in there was a 6-foot rope light at the dirt under the mulch, or at least I thought so. Well it appears I forgot to plug in the damn thing in the fall! My needle has gone through a typical minnesota winter (a little heavy on the snow, but average temps) without any protection except for a plastic garbage can! It is heavily mulched however. The needle appears to be alive and well, mostly green. Some of the leaves are a bit toasted, but really not bad at all. Spear looks great and does not seem to want to pull out. I can't believe I screwed this one up! I'll probably lose a few leaves overall and that is a bummer because needles grow so slow. I'm just glad it is still alive though. I did not bother plugging in the rope light, we are through the worst of the winter now and the sun must be really warming the garbage can during the day by now. I think I'll just uncover the thing in a week or two and see what happens. At least the snow should be gone by then. 40s (now) to 50 in the week to 10-days out forecast. The lowest we saw in my yard was mid-upper teens below zero(F) this winter. I really have a lot of respect for needle palms now...

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

P.S. Yucca Filamentosa (experimental) with zero protection except partial snow cover is green and appears healthy. It is south-facing and seems to be possibly growing now that its snow cover has gone away. I guess they are truly a zone-4 survivor. Interesting plant...

I'll try to post pics soon, needle palm included.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea the Needles are pretty bad ass!
    I remember not really being into then that much at first but.....when you pull the protection and see it still alive without heat(mine had a leaf cage last year/-18)you gain a new respect for them!
    I have my Sabals and Needles uncovered now,along with the Waggie I am trying to kill.

I am thinking about removing the front of the cactus house as they will not be seeing anything worse than they have already and basically just need moisture potection at this point,
    a guess common sense says wait until all the snow is melted first(-;...but the forecast is looking better and better.
    Sometimes it's hard for them to get a grip on what the patterns going to be when it changes form such a long established one.

Watch the leaves on that Needle,they tend to go down hill after they are exposed after prolonged cold-hopefully not though,eeh?

How about some pics(-;

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Jim,

I've decided to uncover the needle when i get home from work today. We have nothing under 20(F) for lows forecast in the 14-day Accuweather. We look to hit the 50s late next week, but will remain in the 40s every day until then. Sunny too. I'm thinking I'll plug in the rope light under the mulch when I uncover it so the ground won't freeze any closer to the trunk. I'll keep the trash can handy in case heavy snow and/or rain is forecast though. What do you think? Good idea?

I'll take some pictures and post as soon as I can get it done.

I'm thinking about uncovering the big trachy by about the end of that 14-day forecast range, which will put us right at mid-March. By then all the snow will surely be gone. I thought I might keep the roof and frame up for a little bit in case of freezing rain though. I'm babying the trachy because this is its first winter in ground in MN. Again, what do you think?

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

mnpalms,

Yucca filamentosa should be hardy for you no problem. Some of the cultivars, such as the variegated ones, should also survive without protection, especially after they are established. Lots of color and great accent plants. Nothing else in cold zones looks quite like a yucca!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mnpalms
    I'm with you on uncovering!
    Just don't undo anything you can't throw back up!
    Usually around March 10-20 we rarely see anything below 15-20 and I take the covers off if the temps are near 50f or it gets to hot in some of my covers.
    I would be careful of exposing the Needle to sun to much as the leaves may burn,maybe some shade cloth or something to break it in.

I noticed last year when I uncovered my Needle that the soil was still frozen along with the leaves.
    It's like staring at the sun with frozen eyeballs this time of year for the unearthed!

Good idea leaving a rain/crap cover over the Trachy for a while.(-;

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Here are some pics of my needle as of 3/2/10. Made it through an MN winter without heat! Some damaged leaves but not too bad overall. Also my trachy enclosure can be seen in the background. I plan to uncover the trachy in less than two weeks. The forecast looks great as far as they can predict. We will lose the snow cover within a week, which is now finally falling under 2 feet!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been temped too
    My latest(-; plan is to at least wait until the snows gone(looks like Saturday at the current rate),this will increase the daytime highs as well as pull these dang night time temps out of the teens and back closer to freezing,along with a change in the weather pattern-
    Looks like I will have some nice chores over the weekend!

Man I thought we had a lot of snow!
    Can't wait to see the Trachy!

Looking good.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Nice needle palm. My needle is uncovered and has been all winter long. It has no damage so Im pretty happy about that. Temps will be in the upper 40s all this weekend and next week, which is still below average, but I think that it will be warmer than forecasted (in the low 50s maybe). All my palms will be uncovered on saturday, by then the nights will stay above freezing. There will be lots of sun until about thursday of next week and then some rain (but temps in the upper 40s or low 50s so snow shouldnt be a problem). I still plan on keeping my pindo palm protected from the rain and by late march it should be good for another growing season. But so far this month is right around average and at this rate my plants will be outside right on time. I feel bad for Florida though which still remains below average.

Good luck everyone!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Yep, what a strange winter it has been across the country! I'm amazed we ended up with a pretty average winter here as far as temps go, just a bit heavier on the snow. It looks like we are finally out of the woods here now. It's been in the low to mid 40s every day for about a week now and the trend shows no sign of lower temps. Actually we are looking at 50s some time next week, I suppose they are basing that on the fact all the snow should be gone by then. What a difference a lack of snow cover makes on how high the daytime temps can go!

I'm still a bit bummed I screwed up on my needle protection, forgetting to plug in the heat. It is alive and ok, but definitely has toasted leaves. I bet I'll lose half the fronds. I'm thinking I might dig it up and pot it once it warms up. Put it in "rehab" for a year or so. It resides in a planter near my pool with the large trachy and basjoos. I don't want to look at the sad needle all summer! I'm thinking I'll put something new in its place. I'm also going to re organize a planter in the front yard and add a 4 1/2 foot trachy and some basjoos. It's time to branch out... I can't wait until mid April (planting time)!

• dadhaslonglegs
    14 years ago

MNPALMS-

Looks great! Can't believe you didn't use heat. I really need to try that this year. You also have a LOT of snow up wherever you are. Wow. I do think most of this snow will be history in 7 days or so. Its all feedback from here, so once some ground becomes exposed, it just speeds everything up (albedo).

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

You guys always make me wanna uncover my damn palms earlier than I should!! LOL That being said I lifted my waggie shelter monday and its been all sun the past few days. Tomorrow im putting down a lbs of fertilizer around that and my magnolia. Maybe Ill be suckered into uncovering the two fortunei tomorrow also?
    {{gwi:1121362}}

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea Mike
    I pulled the cactus protection off today.
    At this point it really needs rain cover more than heat,otherwise my cactus would be blooming in April again!

BTW-beautiful Waggie!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Thats looking really nice. Very healthy. It looks like it made it though the winter really well. Just dont forget to re-cover it if it actually does get really cold again.

Good luck!

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

Yeah jim I know what you mean rain in the forcast next few days thats why im putting down fertilizer. Thanx tropical zone its was a regular winter not anything special.

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Dadhaslonglegs-

I'm in Burnsville, not far from the river. Well about 2/3 of the time, otherwise up in zone 3 (Outing, MN) on Roosevelt Lake. No tropicals up there! I have been tracking temps for many years in my yard and honestly we have not actually hit -20F in at least the 15 or so years I've lived here. Must be the river and my position to the southeast. I think that zone map that shows I'm really a Z5a is true. We had about a 2-foot snow base most of the winter here! More than we have/had up north. First time in many years it has been that way.

For the needle, I intended to use a little heat, I screwed up! Made for an interesting experiment though. I've decided to dig up the needle when it warms up a little more and re-hab it in a pot. I'm going to put in a 4' yucca thompsoniana in its place. That should look good in the planter with my largest trachy and basjoos by the pool. I'm eager to re-plant an area in the front yard in April where I'll put in a 4 1/2+ foot trachy and more basjoos. The needle will go there too when it recovers. The basjoo I dug up in the fall is now 12 feet tall and likely will flower this summer. I've cut tons of pups from it and have about 8 more in pots which are all over 4 to 5 feet tall now. This year my basjoos will have a head start, they didn't winter in the ground. I can't believe how well they grow indoors under bright florescent lighting. Who says we can't grow this stuff in Minnesota!?! Some of my neighbors think I'm nuts. This year they will really be jealous though...

Mike-

That's a beautiful tree! I don't think it's too early to uncover, especially in your zone. Remember, these things are HARDY. As Jim says, I'd just have something ready to throw over your palms in case of rain/freezing rain. I'm going to uncover my large trachy probably next weekend. I'll keep the roof intact for a little while just in case, but it will be open and able to get used to the sun again before being completely uncovered.

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

My post above reminds me, JIMHARDY I was wondering what you know about Thompson's yucca. Being you are a big cactus/yucca guy I thought you might know a bit about these. Online info is scarce on this species, but I ordered one anyway. 3+ feet of thick trunk and over 4 feet tall overall.

They look a lot like a yucca rostrata but are more green than blue. A close cousin I guess. Also the most important part, they are hardy to -20F unprotected. That's more hardy than the rostrata. They look really cool and sometimes form multiple heads. I looked for a rostrata initially, I've always liked how they look. Problem is, getting one the size I want is over $300. The Thompson's is less than a third of that. I'll receive mine next week and will plant it in April. I'll pot it for a while first to get it comfortable. I'm told they are very forgiving being transplanted and shipped. 99% success rate. If the one I get is what I'm expecting I'm going to get about 3 more before they are gone or get too expensive. Sorry to stray off-topic here but I'd like to hear Jim's or other's opinions of this yucca.

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Here are some pictures of what the Thompson's Yucca looks like. It's a lot like a rostrata but more hardy and greener. -20F? Sounds awfully good for my zone!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would still put a cover over it in winter just to keep the crown dry and keep the ground from freezing.

I know that you really want to work the ground over- a lot of coarse builders sand and pea gravel for drainage.
    Don't just cover the ground with it either(it will act like mulch and hold water underneath it) dig it deep down and mix it up well,you only need about 10-20%regular soil mixed in with it.
    The roots are very extensive on Yuccas.

If it comes bare root,they sometimes suggest letting it root in/in a pot for the first year,your call there.

Also good to mound the soil up at least a foot for good drainage.
    Hope this helps,good luck and great idea-cant wait to seeit!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice Jim. I was planning on similar but it sounds like I should go with even more sand/rock than I had originally planned. Like I did with my trachy, but with a different fill mix, I'll dig down nearly 5 feet and at least 4 feet across for the hole which will hold the new mix and roots. I have light clay as native soil here...

Sounds like you are on the same page as me with a covering plan. Though I'd only cover it for a while at the worst of the winter and when snow/freezong rain is predicted. No heat. Good mulch at the ground to keep it from freezing deep.

Though info on this species is scarce, it is indeed different from the rostrata, though a close cousin. Take this with a grain of salt, but it is the grower's description below: I requested 3+ feet of trunk and over 4.5 feet tall for the one I ordered.

Yucca thompsoniana is the most reliable and cold hardy yucca available. It replants with 99.9% success rate. It can handle extreme climates from the driest deserts to the wettest parts of the southeast USA. Most of our buyers in the past have been from New Jersey - New York area. So it can handle the cold also. Yucca thompsonaina is a beautiful palm-tree like plant with flat blue-green leaves that have yellow edges. It forms a trunk to 12 feet tall and may branch. The trunk is covered by the thick layers of spent leaves. It is cold hardy to minus 20 degrees F. You are buying the plant size pictured. These trees have a trunk that is 2.5 to 3 feet tall.

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

P.S. As discussed with the grower, I will pot it immediately upon receipt. I'll pot it with root hormone and let it get comfortable for a while until planting it in the ground in mid/late April. I'll post pictures when it arrives (probably next Friday).

If it looks as good as I'm expecting, I'll order at least two more. My friend who has a trachy similar to mine here in MN is all over these also. He had been looking for a larger and affordable rostrata with no success. I think these Thompson yuccas will fit the bill perfectly, and under $100 to boot!

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

I have both yucca rostrata and thompsoniana the rostrata is hands down more cold hardy. I killed my first one now I have a second one in a pot I take in during the winter.

• chicago_palm
    14 years ago

Great Pictures Jim. How long have you been growing tropicals? and How do you decide how long to keep your plants under protection and shelter?

Here is a picture of my Windmill Palm after lifting the enclosure.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My decision was made for me by the weather,as this cold winter pattern broke,a few days produces temps in the 90s in the palm/cactus enclosures-way to much stress to leave that be.
    With no temps much below freezing in the forecast I decided to bust them lose,the air outside their enclosures is milder than the ground temps so,time to open things up-I will recover if anything sinister is afoot but for now they are good(-: and the 15 day forecast is cooperating!

Mnpalms
    Sounds like a great plan,can't wait to see your new Yucca,they really are beautiful.
    Good luck with your palms too-heres to a warm/hot summer!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Chicago-

That windmill looks great after coming out of protection! Looks so good it's as if you just planted it. That one will grow up to be a real winner it looks like...

Mike-

That's surprising to hear you had better luck with rostrata. I wonder if it had anything to do with other variables such as placement, the seller/grower, etc. Thompson's is really just a version of the rostrata which does not grow as tall, nearly the same species though. They are said to be slightly more hardy, at least by the limited info out there. Time will tell for me here in MN I guess... I was originally going to get a rostrata for the spot I have picked out. Just that I didn't want to spend $400+ on a decent size plant (close to 5 feet tall). Thompson's at that size for under $100, I thought it to be a no-brainer. A $100 rostrata is only about 3 feet or less tall and with no visible trunk (hidden in the "ball" of leaves)

Jim-

It really looks like we are out of the woods now! Low here last night was 33.7F and it appears therre will be several nights this week where it does not get under freezing, and with highs pushing 50. This trend has no end in sight, even the 15-day forecast shows no change in the pattern. 15 days out we are nearing the first of April when the average highs here break the 50 degrees point. We go from about 50 at 4/1 to mid 60s by 5/1 for average highs. Finally an early spring here! (at least so far, holding my breath...)

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mnpalms
    With any luck mother nature will be easy with us from here on out.
    It really looks like a nice solid climb out of winter.
    Even avg temps right now (26f to 47f)sound pretty damn good!
    I prefer Accuweather's 15 day forecast right now,it's warmer than anyone elses(-:
    We are around 60 by the end of the month,on avg.
    It's really just a matter of moisture management right now,don't want things to get soggy.
    It is so nice to have everything uncovered!
    I have a S-load of stuff coming this week
    1-Seeds from China(Various Trachys)
    2-Seeds from Bulgaria(Trachys)
    3-Itenerans(banana plants)
    4-14 varieties of hardy cactus from Colorado+
    5-2 Brumansias plants
    6-C.cooperi (tree fern)
    7-Blue ribbon sugarcane(makes a nice tall grass like exotic look)
    8-Pindo seedling and Canna from Dennis(StatenIsland) if I'm lucky(-;
    9-WagxNanus from Ireland and Chicago(if I'm lucky;-)
    Oh well,it sounded like a lot(-;

This is going to be a fun year! Can't wait!
    Happy gardening and an early happy spring!!!!!!!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Damn, that list ought to keep you busy this spring! Sounds like a lot of work (fun). Aside from the yucca I have coming, I'm going to order a few more different banana species and a 3-gal t. takil. I'm sure the list will grow quickly as it warms up more though! Several of my potted things are going in ground as soon as it warms more. 8 potted basjoos ranging from 4 to over 10 feet tall, 4.75 foot trachy for front yard, etc.

A couple mid-summer (last summer around 7/1'ish) pictures to get in the spirit and think warm thoughts...

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Wow, that is a pretty big list! Im starting to get lots of plants now including a new plumeria, a huge gardenia (always wanted one), ice cream banana (on its way), a tree fern (australian tree fern), and canna pink dawn, canna robert kemp, canna pretoria, and canna red king humbert. Also something I discovered is yuccas can be kept dormant all winter long. I dug my yucca elephantipes up last fall and left it in my garage bare root and it was still pretty green. Now I have it in water and an re-rooting it. My sago palm is going out today.

Nice pic mnpalms, wont be long before your backyard looks like that again. Im so happy the worst of winter is over.

I have lots of new plants to try this summer and I cant wait to see them grow. Good luck everyone!

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

mnpalms I heres the pics of my rostrata and my thompsoniana I just took a few minutes ago all of these palms and yucca outside now.

thompsoniana
    {{gwi:1121371}}

rostrata
    {{gwi:1121372}}

Palms in the yard today. Butia in pot, queen palm in back next to porch, and mediterranean in pot up front, and yuccas along side fence
    {{gwi:1121373}}

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Mike-

Thanks for posting your pics! Your Thompsoniana looks nice, two heads even. Do you do anything to protect your rostrata in the winter?

Your palms look awesome too!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I agree, everything is looking really good. I remember you having a sabal palmetto, How's that doing?

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everything looks great Mike!
    I guess we have all decided to tell winter bye,bye!-LOL
    I need to call you about those Trachys we discussed(-;

Chicago palms,
    I forgot to answer your question.
    I started growing plants,etc when I was 7 yrs old.
    So,about 40 years now-

I took a break for a while and got back into it a few years ago when I cut the huge Yew(15'x15')down in the front yard opening the south side(front)for some sun!
    Weather and gardening have been hobbies since I was young and cold hardy gardening was a perfect fit!

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

Jim I lost a few more more Im down to 7. They have 2 working on there third strap leaves.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe I should get them from you right away!

LOL!

Try to call you Tuesday(-:

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

I thought I'd post my thompsoniana update in this thread where it was previously discussed...

I received the pictured yucca yesterday. It's a little more than 4 1/2 feet tall. For $89 I'm quite pleased. I think I'll get at least one more before they are gone and/or get expensive like the rostratas. I'll be putting it in ground in mid/late April.

Next to 4.75 foot potted trachy which is also going in ground in April.

Bonus pics, wintering basjoos.

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

awsome lol

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Looks very nice and healthy too. Same for the windmill palms and especially the basjoos!

Good luck!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The old Thompsoniana in the box trick huh,saves on shipping with those new USPS pop up boxes!(-:

That is a great deal!
    Can't wait to see them both planted,your Basjoos will be huge this year!

NICE!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. I am pleased with the yucca for the price. If they grow as slow as rostratas which I assume they do, the thing must be pretty old because it has all that trunk. I can't wait to get it into the ground.

Yeah, theres a whole bunch of basjoos ranging from 4/5 feet tall (originally pups from my bigger ones) to over 10 feet tall wintering at a certain liquor store, along with a bunch of palms...

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Hey Jim-

I sent you an email (kind of lengthy). Please check it out when you get the chance, I have a few questions for you. Thanks!

• mnpalms
    14 years ago

Jim-

I tried your yahoo email address which you used when you sent me that Colorado palms report a while back. It bounced. If you have a different address now, please let me know. If you don't want to post it here juse let me know and I'll post my address here. Thanks!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It works

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County