SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

I Gave Away The Wrong Tomatoes!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
18 years ago

When discussing types of tomatoes that taste good, I always say that the black ones (which are usually maroon with green shoulders, not actually black) like Black Krim and Black From Tula are so good that I keep them all for myself and never give them away to anyone else.

Well, this year I planted quite a few different black ones, and I've been getting lots of fruit on those plants, so I gave away a few Black Krim and Black From Tula over the weekend. What happened? The friends I gave those black ones to popped up in my garden yesterday....one came right out and said "I want another one of those black ones..." and I gave him the one ripe one I had yesterday. Then the other one told me they were the best tomatoes he'd ever had, and seemed disappointed that I didn't have any ripe ones to give him! Help, I have created two black-tomato-devouring monsters! I'm just kidding....but now I'm wondering if it was a good idea to give away those black tomatoes!

I think next year I will plant even more black tomatoes, as the 12 plants I have now probably won't be enough now that other families have discovered how good the black ones taste. Also, next year, I will give these guys some black tomato plants of their own to grow in their gardeners. I love these two friends dearly, but I don't want to spend the rest of the summer giving them ALL of my black tomatoes!

And, to think,....when I tried to give them those black tomatoes initally, they were suspicious and thought I was giving them ruined, overripe fruit. Guess appearances can be deceiving, huh?

Dawn

Comments (7)