SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmyt_gw

when to cut back perennial flowers?

emmyt
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm fairly new to gardening and learning some basics.

When do I cut back plants that still have green leaves even though the flowering was in the spring and long gone? In particular phlox and iris? I've already cut back other plants that were obviously brown and spent, like black eyed susans.

For the iris, when can I dig up the bulbs and plant them elsewhere?

I also have some low-growing dianthus that were in the annual area of the nursery where I bought them last year, but surprisingly they grew back very dense this year. Although the flowers are very pretty, I'm not particularly fond of the plants because their leaves turn black after flowering, even when they put out new flowers. They flower all summer, but there is always a mass of ugly black leaves among the flowers all summer. Is that normal for this type of plant? Can I chop these plants back mid summer, when the leaves are blackest, and maybe they would grow back fresher and greener for the remainder of the summer?

And just one more--I have boxwood plants that I would like to completley remove and replant elsewhere. I was advised to wait until spring to do this--or can I do this now? in either case, can I prune them back before digging them up, so that I can see where I'm digging and be able to more easily move them?-they have gotten moderately large. If so, how severely can I cut them?

Thanks much for help on any of these questions.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting