SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

A mowing casualty

mulberryknob
11 years ago

As aggravated as I get when the deer get into the garden and eat stuff, I almost cried today when I saw the fawn--no more than a month old--with its front feet cut off by the sickle mower. The neighbor who was cutting our field said he didn't know when it happened, (he was wearing earplugs) but on a subsequent trip around the field, he saw the little guy hobbling along. He said he knew what had happened before he got off the tractor. It had to be killed of course; the shock would kill it anyway and a deer can't get along without feet. Dh and the neighbor took it better than I did. "Well, you hate it when something like that happens," the neighbor said, "but at least it won't grow up to get in your garden."

It could have been worse for both the fawn and the mower. A couple years ago the man mowing Dad's hay had one get completly entangled in the mower, bringing it to a standstill and causing a considerable delay while it was removed. The little things lie perfectly still where their mama put them even with a noisy tractor and mower bearing down on them. And they are so tiny there is no way to see them when the grass is waist high.

Comments (12)