SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Spring! Spring! Wonderful spring!

jblaschke
15 years ago

I know many of you are snowed under with the arctic express that blew east this week. And that cold weather will hold you in its grip for another month or so. But I wanted to assure you that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel!

This weekend I discovered no fewer than four p. Incense sprouts in my front yard. Granted this isn't such a big deal, since I had some pop up in January and February, but those froze back. These are likely here to stay.

Curiosity piqued, I checked my back yard. My little p. affinis had sent out a stalk that's already a foot long. Not five feet away, sheltered against a wooden privacy fence, is a cluster of p. foetida var. gossypiifolia, green and vigorous. Elsewhere, I found several tiny, 2-3 inch shoots of my p. Inspiration (which doesn't sucker like Incense. Go figure). The shocker, though, was coming up right next to a pear tree. A six-inch incarnata sprout. I've never had an incarnata come up this early before. Granted, out winter has been unseasonably warm, but finding that one was unexpected.

I'll be digging up and potting some of these early season sprouts, if anyone is interested in trading in the next month or so...

Comments (7)

Sponsored