SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Origins of Passiflora 'Lavender Lady'?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

I have a plant which is either P. 'Lavender Lady' or P. 'Amethyst'; I have posted on it before. The plants are very similar and it has been asserted on this forum and elsewhere that the way to distinguish the two is the P. 'Lavender Lady' is sterile, while P. 'Amethyst' rarely produces fruit.

P. Amethyst is a very old hybrid, on the order of 100 years, and has recently been determined to be the result of a cross between P. kermesina and P. caerulea. For details on this see Myles Irvine's site:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/kermitfr1.htm

What's curious is that P. kermesina was absent from cultivation until recently. Its absence included the time during which 'Lavender Lady' was introduced by the hybridizer Patrick Worley, I believe by Suncrest Nursery. In fact the Suncrest site says it was a hybrid "using P. amethystina and P. caerulea".

So this is a bit of a puzzle. P. 'Lavender Lady' should be a hybrid, one of whose parents was not in cultivation at the time it was introduced if the info on Myles' site is correct. There are indications (it's sterility) that it is not simply the result of a confusion with a P. 'Amethyst' cutting. So what's going on?

On simple possibility is that P. 'Lavender Lady' is simply a seedling of one of the rare P. 'Amethyst' seeds. Does anyone know whether this is correct? Is anyone in contact with Patrick Worley? I'm pretty sure I saw this suggestion online but now I can't find it.

A question about the name. P. 'Lavender Lady' has very similar colors to P. 'Elizabeth', which is known to be named after Worley's mother. Is Patrick Worley's mother Elizabeth the "Lavender Lady"?

Comments (5)

Sponsored