SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oppalm

Update of Palm Trees at Iowa hotel

oppalm
14 years ago

I think many of you have read about the Trachy Fortuneis planted outside of a West Des Moines Iowa hotel. They have had their problems with winter protection in the past. I was in Des Moines Iowa this weekend went by the hotel and thought you might be interested in updated pics. They have created protection by building a circular silo looking enclosure around each palm. Each palm tree has an electrical outlet nearby where they must have lights or small heaters inside each shelter.

First pic

{{gwi:1117465}}

This is a pic of one of the Trachy Fortuneis next to the hotel and they have cut away half the protection so people can see what they are protecting. The palm looks good inside the plastic wrap. I guess time will tell if it makes it.

{{gwi:1117466}}

There must be 15-20 of these white silos around the property. They appear to be white corrugated tin. Probably not much insulating value. Again not real sure how they are heating the enclosures.

What do you think ? can they generate enought heat and hold it in these enclosures to provide enough heat to overwinter in Des Moines Iowa ?

Comments (59)