SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

96 Degrees Is Too Hot For Early May.....

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
12 years ago

This weather is just ridiculous. I tried working in the garden today, and for a while I succeeded. However, when the high temp hit 90 before lunch time, I came inside to take a break in the middle of the day. Unfortunately, the cool season plants couldn't come inside with me, so they're not in a very good mood this afternoon after roasting in the hot sun all day.

It hit 96 degrees at our house today which seems just a bit warm for May 3rd. Last year on this date? We awoke to a frosty 31 degrees (I had covered up the whole garden with Agribon row cover the night before) and topped out at 70 degrees. I think'd I'd rather have last years May 3rd weather than this year's.

My cool season crops are not amused by the hot temps. The last few heads of lettuce shot up 6" overnight, so they probably will put up seed stalks tomorrow or the next day. The pea plants just look hot and tired, and maybe a little bleached out by the heat. More onions in the big garden bolt daily--one or two a day, so I just pick them and use them. In the Peter Rabbit Garden, none have bolted. Those are short-day onions in the PRG and they are bulbing up nicely.

I have harvested a ton of broccoli and, frankly, the plants just don't look very happy with the weather. Last year the Piricicaba survived all summer, but I had it in a lot of shade. This year I put rhubarb in the shady spot and put the broccoli in full sun and I'm not sure these plants will make it to the end of May. The cabbage plants look fairly unhappy too.

The warm-season crops are fine, but it makes me ill to think that the daytime highs here are already hot enough to start impeding fruit set on tomato plants. Fortunately, this early heat is not expected to last too long, and more seasonable temps will return in a couple of days, so fruit set on the tomato plants will be able to continue.

On the bright side, heat is good for okra seeds. I sowed seeds Monday and the first plants popped up out of the soil today, and it wasn't even fresh seed. (The seed is only 2 years old though, so pretty fresh.) The yardlong beans started popping up their seed leaves in only 2 days. It is a good thing there's a lot of edibles that like hot temperatures, cause hot temps are what we've got.

I haven't looked at our soil temps today, but they've been running a little above 80 degrees.

If we hit 96 here, I bet some spots in SW OK must have hit or exceeded 100. Leslie, are you out there? How hot was it at your place today?

If this heat sticks around a bit longer than forecast, my cool-season crops are gonna be toast, except for the potatoes and onions. Taters and onions seem fine in the heat if it will just stay there. The onions don't seem to like when it seesaws up and down a lot.

At our house, I always think of May as the last "good" month when I can work outside as long as I want to or need to every day before the June weather gets too hot and starts driving me indoors by noon. This early heat makes me worry that May isn't going to be as good as it usually is.

Dawn

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting