SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Found ants in the leaf pockets between trunk

Sorry, I don't know the technical anatomical term, but I found ants between the leaf crotches and the trunk. I took this plant to this sink for a drink and noticed a couple of ants on it. No big deal, bringing over 100 pots inside recently, there's gonna be a few critters.

I stood there watching for a few minutes and noticed they weren't coming from the soil (common if they're in the soil when I water - the only place I've seen ants on house plants unless they were farming aphids) but going in/out of the crotches/pockets of space between the lowest 2 leaves and the trunk, never did see any coming out of the soil. Just above these 2 leaves was the hardened brown stump of a leaf removed months ago. I was using the hose attachment on our shower to try to flush those pockets out but decided removing the leaves would be necessary to finish removing the stump of that old leaf, and see what in the world is going on in there.

I've removed as much as I can without scratching hard enough to fear damage to the trunk. There doesn't seem to be any actual damage to the trunk, no soft spots or holes. The rest of the dead stuff looks soft because it's wet but it's not. I'll try removing the rest of it when it dries more.

Never seen anything like that before, and am now not sure if this tree is OK or not. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting