SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Palm progress in central mo, zone 5b

hueytlatoani
14 years ago

Hello, I did a sort of experiment this year, putting a whole bunch of palms in the ground and then watching to see what happened to them over the winter. I planted a mexican fan palm, windmill palm, chinese fan palms, and a small needle palm. The plan was to leave them unprotected except for some straw piles in the coldest weeks of the year. About dec, the chinese fan died, followed within a few weeks by the mexican fan. About three weeks ago, the windmill went. This coincided roughly with the onset of an almost 2 week subzero period, with a low of -8, some reported -11, but I know for a fact that where I am it was -8. Anyway, right at the onset of that cold snap I buried my needle in pampas grass straw, in hopes that it would be spared death (I mean, I hate losing these things!) and yesterday I pulled back the straw to prevent the plant "suffocating". Lo and behold, the needle is still green, a bit yellowed on the leaf tips, but the spear is healthy green and hasn't pulled! I accordign to average forecasts, the worst of the winter is now over, and I think (hope) the needle has made it! WHen it freezes to death I think I would know-the other palms changed color when they died, and their spears pulled right out. If this worked, next year I'll get more needles, and follow the same procedure.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert