SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickeddie_gw

How to reduce water running across my lawn?

mickeddie
17 years ago

Hi,

There a swell(or is it a dip?) that runs clear across my back yard. Every time it rains, water rushes through it and dumps into a grate on the side of my property. It will remain swamp land for up to a week after it stops raining. It makes it very diffcult for my kids to play in the yard since they must pass through this mud to get anywhere in the yard.

Is there anything I am allowed to do to lessen the amount of water that travels down this path? I don't think I could level it, because then it would continue to travel right onto my patio. If I plant shrubs on the side of my yard where the water comes from, I will probably tick off my neighbors when they realize the water is staying on their property. I also think it's probably one of those things that becuase there is a grate on the other side, this means that I must keep the swell/dip as is and not interfere with the water's planned path. Is there ANYTHING I can do lessen the swamp in my yard? Someone suggested planting a willow tree that absorbs a lot of the water, but it may take 10 years for it to grow big enough to make a difference. Don't want to wait that long.

Please help!

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery