SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Helping Waterlogged Plant Roots in Your Garden

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I know a lot of you have had torrential rainfall overnight and this morning on top of whatever rain you received last week or on Sunday (you know, the solid rain that fell as hailstones). When this type of rainfall occurs, we all worry about waterlogging causing issues with our plant's root systems. Do you wonder how much water your plant roots can tolerate?

I feel a little bit like an expert on short-term (meaning weeks, not months, in most cases) waterlogging, having had 12.89" of rainfall in one day last April and 9.25" of rainfall one day in April a couple of years before that. In both cases, our plants stalled and looked horrible for up to 6 or 8 weeks afterward, but most of them recovered and survived.

While plants that receive a sudden influx of heavy moisture may be unhappy in the short term, many of them will survive just fine although you may see some stalling in the growth of the plants. In some cases, if roots remain waterlogged for weeks, your may see signs of nutritional deficiency. In many plants, the nutritional deficiency will show up as discolored leaves (often, they take on a purplish or yellowish hue) or the moisture stress will cause rolling and cupping of leaves or leaf or blossom drop.

Waterlogged plants will sometimes wilt. They are NOT wilting because they need water...they are wilting because they have too much water. So, with wilting (even in container plants), always manually check the soil's moisture level by sticking your finger into the soil. Don't worry unless the soil is dry a couple of inches down.

Waterlogged plants sometimes need nutritional help. In 2007, the heavy, persistent rains left many of my veggies and flowers with nutritional issues because their roots were clogged with water and could not take up nutrition. I worked around that by giving them foliar feedings of water-soluable plants foods. If non-organic, you can use Miracle Grow or Peters or any of those type products. If organic, you can use liquid seaweed, liquid fish emulsion or a combination product that contains both. Compost tea is also an effective water-soluable food you can spray on foliage.

In some parts of my garden where the beds are not raised and the plants were really hurting, I dug trenches alongside and immediately downhill from the rows of plants in my sloping garden in the hope that water would seep into the trenches and evaporate. In some areas, I stuck a pitchfork into the ground to make holes which might allow oxygen into the soil to help dry it up more quickly. There were so many holes it looked like crawdads or cicada-killers had moved in.

If container plants seem to be drying slowly, check the drainage holes. Sometimes heavy, heavy rains compact soil or bark in the soilless mix and clog drain holes. I've even had to drill extra 'emergency' drain holes in large containers to help them dry up more quickly.

Finally, remember that not only can plants be waterlogged underground, but persistently wet foliage can develop disease or edema issues.

I'm hoping today's rainfall doesn't hurt anyone's plants too much. It is sad that in a state where we are often short of water during the hot part of the growing season, we get too much rain in the spring months. I wish we could spread out the rain a little bit more evenly.

Dawn

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting