SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Planting Live Oaks in OKC Area: Recommendations and Sources?

HFK123
19 years ago

Hi,

I've recently returned from a trip to the Austin, TX are. While in Austin I saw some Live Oaks that were actually some of the most bautifull trees I've ever seen. I've been wondering which trees to plant in certain portions of my 1.3 acre lot, and I believe I'd like to plant Live Oaks. I've done a bit of research, both here and elsewhere, and have found that the "Escarpement" Live Oak (Quercus Fusiformis) is the best for our conditions. I have very good soil, perhaps a few feet of very black, nutrient-rich dirt. Of course, there's clay just beneath it.

Has anyone any experience with planting Quercus Fusiformis in central OK? How have mature trees, with their horizontally arching branches, fared during ice-storms? Can they withstand the loss of a large branch or two?

How quickly do they grow?

What time of year should they be planted? Any planting tips?

What's the best source for Quercus Fusiformis? Some folks here have recommended a nursery in Clinton (Sunshine?) and another in western Arkansas for some of the hard-to-find trees I'd like to plant (Post Oak, Blackjack). Should I sitick with them or can you recommend a local nursery?

Thanks,

Frank

Comments (19)