SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owiebrain

Selling at the farmers market. Um, help?

owiebrain
12 years ago

Those of you who follow my blog already know but, for the rest of you, I've been invited to sell at the new local farmers market and I've now committed to it. Yikes.

I'll start off by selling my excess seedlings, eggs, breads and chicks and maybe some lettuce and herbs just to have some starter produce. Once the garden starts coming in, produce will be my main product. Maybe I'll finally make some of that famous habanero gold jelly and sell it. (I don't have any habs planted. Do other types work as well or should I buy some storebought hab starts?)

I've got a bunch of tomato plants in and I'll be planting pole beans for a steady supply, along with succession plantings of bush beans. (I'll take recommendations for good bush bean varieties as most of my experience is with pole types.) I'll also have sweet & hot peppers, cukes, and maybe some green onions here and there. Later on, I'll have some muskmelons & watermelons but I worry about not picking them ripe. I'm getting better but I'd want to be perfect for customers.

What other things should I focus on? I don't like growing sweet corn and there are already several other folks who grow fields & fields of the stuff. Things like radishes & beets are easy to grow but not big sellers so I'll just keep succession planting small batches of those. I don't know that the kids will leave enough sugar snap peas for me to sell. LOL

I just found out about this a couple of weeks ago so I'm scrambling for last-minute things to adjust. Next year will be planned much better!

And don't even get me started on pricing. Sheesh. I'm so clueless on that, I'll just have to make it up as I go. My other problem is that I tend to give everything away. That kind of makes it difficult to make any money. Heh.

Diane

Comments (13)