SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dangerous_with_tools

privacy planting for small yard

Hey folks,

I happen to share space with the local high school football field and I'm getting tired of looking at their ugly chain link fencing.

I have a narrow lot -- my backyard is about 40 feet deep by 30 feet wide, although the side of my house is only about 15-20 feet wide (the fence takes a dogleg next at about where the back of my house starts). Could anyone recommend some good evergreen hedging material that won't grow too wide? My yard gets a lot of sun and wind, thanks to the big open field next door. (It isn't bad, really, they only play there a few times each year and it keeps my little part of the neighborhood quiet.)

A neigbor recommended leyland cypress, but I don't know too much about them (the plant not the neighbor). Another neighbor recommended bamboo, but from what I read that's probably not a good idea. An arbor vitae might work, if someone can recommend a variety that doesn't get to fat at the bottom.

In any case, your collective wisdom would be much appreciated.

PS: Fencing isn't really an option, my town put a halt to privacy fences over four feet (of course, the chain link is about six foot tall).

PPS: Thank God for preview or you people would think my yard is 40 by 3.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022