SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thejonstewart

Newbie who may have gotten ahead of himself

thejonstewart
16 years ago

The more I read, the more I begin to feel overwhelmed. Last year, I replanted half of my back yard since years of overseeding didn't work and the ground was rock solid. I had a weeds, dirt, and a little grass. I tried an organic approach to lawn care since I use it in my gardens. My approach last fall was removing the current grass, tilling in some leaf compost, adding lime (to get my ph closer to neutral), and using an organic fertilizer. I planted a fescue/bluegrass mix. My results were mixed. In spring, the grass looked great. I applied some more fertilizer (in spring and mid summer), watered deeply once a week, and mowed high. After a nasty dry spell/heat wave, it looks like I lost about all the bluegrass in the mix and the grass looks thin.

This fall I need to do the second half of the yard. In other post, I summed up my approach but I read some more and may have gotten ahead of myself. The grass/weeds are in the process of being removed. I'll till in compost again (I know there are some debates about tilling, but the ground is incredibly compacted). I was going to add in alfalfa based on what I've read and some bone meal. I'll have about a week, maybe two between adding these and when I seed in order to capitalize on temps in the 70s (nights in the 50s) But:

Should I add something like SBM as well?

Should I spray a liquid kelp/fish emulsion combination in as well to help get things going in the soil?

For overseeding the other half of the yard, I was going to add more compost since the soil has firmed up some more but should I add some alfalfa/SBM/bone meal to that as well?

I've read the FAQ and a number of posts, but as I read the more confused I get.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County