SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keeval_gw

Overseeding Fertilizer for Fescue that needs Nitrogen

keeval
10 years ago

I have a small front lawn and am about to do my annual overseeding. I am wondering what kind of fertilizer I should apply at this time. The lawn did receive an application of alfalfa pellets about 3 weeks ago, with no real noticeable result. I suspect that may be due to low OM in the soil.

A bit of background is in order.

I had a soil test done in July. Some of the results -
Ph is 6.9
HM is .27%.
Phosphorous is 145 (normal range is 50-70)
Potassium is 148 (normal range is 50-70)

The recommendation is to apply a 21-0-0 fertilizer at the rate of 5 lbs. per 1000 sq. feet.

I have plans to aerate the lawn and add compost this weekend, hoping to get some OM deeper into the soil via the aeration holes. I would like to seed and fertilize right after applying the compost.

Given these conditions, what type of organic fertilizer would be best? Based on what I have read, I'm leaning toward soybean meal. I know the lawn needs nitrogen, but am not sure how much to apply when spreading seed. Do the lawn's current nitrogen needs conflict in any way with the amount of nitrogen or best type of fertilizer to use while seeding?

Also, any idea why my phosphorous and potassium levels would be so high, and is that a problem? Or should that question be posted in the soil forum?

Many thanks in advance. I've avoided chemicals in my yard for 6 years, but am still trying to figure this all out.

Comments (12)

Sponsored