SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawnoob

Getting started

lawnoob
16 years ago

Hello all, I stumbled on this forum while searching for ways to get my lawn up to snuff.

I live in central California which tends to be very hot and dry in the summers and cool in the winters. We occasionally get cold freezes (like last year) during winter but usually it's not bad at all.

My wife and I just purchased our first house in July and now that we are all moved in (mostly) I'm ready to start working on the lawn which, honestly, is starting to look pretty bad.

When we bought the house the lawn was alright, the owners had obviously hired someone to keep it cut because the renters didn't do much upkeep of anything in the house. There were some yellow dead spots in the grass but it didn't look horrible. Now that we've been in about a month the grass has grown out quite a bit as I don't own a lawn mower yet.

We're considering paying for gardeners to come out and care for the lawn but I'd like to try and do it myself if it isn't too labor and time intensive. I'm generally not a big fan of anything that says "organic" as I get flashes of pot smoking hippies any time I see the word. No offense intended to anyone out there hehe. However, the little bit I've been reading about the organic lawn care is intriguing me. Seems like a lot less work and it's healthier for the lawn in the long term. Not to mention using less of the costly fertilizers and junk.

I've always loved houses with nice green well kept lawns in front but was never lucky enough to have one growing up. I'm interested in trying organic or natural lawn care, however, all this talk about earthworms and bugs and cockroaches makes me nervous. Does a nautral lawn mean a bug infested lawn that nobody wants to play in? Are earthworms going to be crawling all over the grass or over the concrete? I don't mind having bugs in the lawn as long as they aren't all over the house, concrete, trees, etc. I want to be able to go out in the grass and sit in it without feeling creepy crawlies all over my skin. Is that possible with an organic lawn?

Furthermore, my back yard is mostly a swimming pool though there is grass around the outside of it. Does an organic back lawn mean there's going to be a problem with insects around or in my pool?

At this point I have lots of crab grass stuff coming in and some dead spots. Is there a link that could give me step by step directions on how to get started as well as how to clean up the unwanted crab grasses and weeds?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus