SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyny76

What to do with my lawn o weeds?

11 years ago

Let me preface this by saying I've been reading the forums and I'm completely overwhelmed! We moved into this house 1.5 years ago. I didn't even worry about the lawn last year - was dealing with flowerbeds.

So now I'm thinking about the lawn. Which is weeds. Seriously. 85% is not an exaggeration and may be a low estimate. We are on a half acre and the large back yard is half creeping charlie and half something else that forms a big mat of turf - I'm thinking niblewill? I've decided it's too big to worry about at this point - and at least it's green!

On to the front yard. A bit of creeping charley out there, but not overrun (yet!). A fair amount of broadleaf plantains. Some 'regular' clover. A bunch of patches of another kind of clover that has really tiny chartreuse-colored leaves. And clumps of crabgrass mostly around the flower beds. And other stuff...it's bad. LOL

I'm in the suburbs of NYC and I realize fall is fast approaching. I don't think I have time to schedule a soil test before I need to put something down. I'll try to get one in the spring.

Should I overseed? Do I pull weeds first (it will be pretty bare!) Do I fertilize? With what? I have a bag of CGM here. And half a bag of chicken poop. Either of those going to do anything for me?

Like I said, I'm a little overwhelmed by everything, so I guess I'm just looking for something to do right now and I'll take the winter to try to form an action plan to begin in the spring.

Thank you!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company