SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okc1

from pond to herb garden?

19 years ago

Hi, garden friends.

My son and daughter-in-love and I are going to spend next weekend spiffying up their back yard. So, I've been dividing up some things and now have tons of pots of stuff for them on my porch and have also bought a few things.

We know we'll need to amend as we go, but I have a question for those of you creative and knowledgable folks who have tried lots of different ideas, especially with herb gardening.

They have an old, defunct, shallow pond that previous owners built. It's made of concrete, is cracked, and they've tried various things to be able to keep fish in it. The poor fish have either boiled in the hot water or the water has drained out.

So, now they want to turn the pond into a raised herb garden.

I'm thinking we will need to put a layer of sand or gravel in the bottom just to help with drainage, but what would you recommend for the rest of the soil? I know enough not to use too rich a mix with herbs, but what would you use besides their regular sandy yard soil (which is nutrient deficient) and some commercial compost? Grit? And if grit, where do I get that?

Help! Please?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm