SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Recession Landscaping

runktrun
13 years ago

Over the last six months I have heard from more than one established landscaper that their customers were now choosing price over skill and schooling. My thought at the time was that this is true in all of the trades today but I suppose because there is no licensing of landscapers it may be more extreme within this profession.

The photos below are of a newly remodeled home that hired landscapers to design, purchase, and install, the landscaping abutting the road. What is not evident in the photos but is crucial to our discussion is landscape/house cleaning company created that berm using 100% construction sand. As this is the third home that I have noted this signature berm I have to wonder where the line between caveat emptor and scamming customers lies. The latest home with a construction sand berm is now building a stone wall on top! Perhaps the stone wall will fall under the regulatory eye of the building inspector but in the case of a poorly designed and planted yard there really isn�t looking out for the homeowner.

I confess shortly after the Rose of Sharon were planted on top of the construction sand berm I got a phone call from the homeowners that our dog was in their yard trying to steal their children�s toys. This would have been the perfect opportunity to mention it was unlikely their shrubs would survive/thrive planted as they were but much to Joes relief I wimped out they seemed like such a happy young family I didn�t have the heart to burst their bubble.

Would you have said anything to the homeowner? Are you seeing any examples of recession landscaping in your community? kt

Note the row of Leyland Cypress (can reach 130� tall) planted with the back of the tree right up against the sand berm will be spilling into the road in no time.

Note the Rose of Sharon planted on top of the sand berm will need a lot more water than it can ever get there and it is a v shaped shrub at eye level so the observer (both homeowner and passerby) will always be looking at the trunk base.

Comments (12)