SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Law of Unintended Consequences

runktrun
13 years ago

I couldn�t have been more surprised when not long ago I read in a local newspaper that my community has been added to the list of twelve confirmed areas in Massachusetts with an infestation of Kudzu. Yes you read that right KUDZU the Asian vine that has blanketed the southeastern region of the US, Hawaii, South America, and as recently as 2009 has been found in Ontario Canada.

Whatever resource you chose to gather information about this vine you are bound to find volumes of information ranging from its arrival here in the United States at the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia where it was described as a miraculous new plant from Japan that could fix nitrogen in the soil and control erosion which was sold using the phrase "Kudzu to the rescue", to some pretty astonishing facts such as the tap root that can weigh up to 400 pounds and during the growing season this monster can grow a foot a day by taking advantage of the sun�s rays to promote photosynthesis! But other than herbicides there is little mention about how to control this invasive high climbing (100�) vine. Frankly while battling the ever persistent poison ivy and bittersweet vines I never imagined that it could ever be worse but now it appears the law of unintended consequences has again planted a foreign thug in my backyard.

There are however a number of uses people have found for the plant such as using the roots and flowers for an herbal tea that is said to be a cure for hangovers. It can be eaten and there are many recipes for Kudzo blossom jelly or stem salsa.

I wonder if our more southern forum members have any experiences with Kudzu? I would also be interested to hear if other New Englanders were aware of the arrival of Kudzu this far north? I have a sense that the Long Horned Asian Beetle is taking media prominence (what little there is) in terms of educating the public. kt

Comments (16)