SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meezike

Very Very Hard Clay Soil

meezike
10 years ago

Hello everyone. Hopefully someone can help me. My lawn is basically a mixture of st augustine and bermuda. There is a section which appears to slowly be dying and is very yellow. I water deeply once a week (1") and spread an organic fertilizer (EB Stone 10-1-4) about 1 month ago and does not seem to be helping. I was going to try and core aerate which is when I noticed the soil in this area is very very hard and compacted. The aerator I am using has two hollow spikes. I constantly had to clear out the spikes with a screw driver since the soil was so hard it would just keep getting stuck in the hollow spikes and not come out through the tops. After aerating this area I spread some Kellogg N'rich compost as a top dressing but noticed that there are many little wood chips in this compost. I tried to rake as much up as I could. I've read that mixing wood chips in the soil is not good as it can rob the soil of nitrogen. I am going to start and try composting on my own but it will take awhile and I wanted to at least do something for now. It seems as if all bagged compost around here (Los Angeles area) pretty much all has little wood chips. So my question is, should I continue to do this or was this a bad idea? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored