SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
green_jen

New lawn questions

16 years ago

We had our yard graded and seeded in April. The landscaper used a sun/shade mix.

We watered frequently at first and have backed off quite a bit lately. I think we're ready for the 1" a week. I've been grasscycling, mowing on the highest setting and I sprayed a pack of Biopak a couple of weeks ago. I have a Starbucks around the corner and I'm picking up some SBM tomorrow which I'm planning to spread. I'm thinking to follow up with seaweed in July, SBM again in August and alfalfa in September (to coincide with seeding).

The lawn is patchy but we're using it for now. I'm planning to close it off again over Labor day and overseed. I also have a compost pile so with any luck at all I'll have some fresh compost by then.

This is the first time I've actually owned a real lawn and I have a couple of questions.

First, there seems to be one type of grass that grows much taller than the rest particularly in the sunny part. Right now half of the lawn is peppered with light green tall grass several days after I mow. Will the type of grass suitable for the type of sun thrive in the respective areas and eventually it will all even out?

Secondly, I have a lot of crab grass. I'm thinking that I might just ignore it this season and then use CGM in the early spring. Will the crab grass interfere too much with the growth of the other grass? Will it be a problem in the fall when I overseed? I really hope I don't have to pull it all out.

I've already learned a lot on this forum and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I have a neighbor across the street that's synthetic and looks at me like I have a hole in my head for going organic. My next door neighbor doesn't think I'll last more than a year. I'm hoping that by August 2008 I've proven them both wrong! :)

Comments (16)

Sponsored