SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvette

Going Organic! Need transition and annual plan

cvette
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I posted a thread about my lawn care history here. I've read the organics FAQ and plan to search my local garden and feed stores to see what is available locally for grains and organic fertilizer.

I still have a few questions:

1) What's the difference between using grains and organic fertilizer? Grains have no OM and organic fertilizer does?

2) I tried measuring my lawn area and it is about 20,000 sqft. I have a bad back and don't think I can spread compost over all of it. I will probably get a soil test to learn the OM% in my soil. My last chemical fertilization was 2 weeks ago. Can I use organic fertilizer INSTEAD of compost to get beneficial microbes in the soil? Or is compost the best way to make the transition from chemical to organic? I'm assuming using just grains at this point will be feeding microbes that aren't there due to my heavy use of chemicals over the last 5 years.

3) I know my pH is low and I bought lime but haven't put it down yet. I read it is a salt and will kill beneficial microbes...should I avoid liming and let organics take over to raise the pH over time?

4) So far this year I've applied scott's steps 1 and 2, what do you recommend to finish off the year organically?

5) Can you recommend an annual program for a zone 5 lawn with rye/fescue/KGB?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting