SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Who Gave Me This?

seedmama
15 years ago

I've just returned home from the swap, and I'm absolutely delighted with the things I brought home. I want to thank people and ask questions, but I find I'm now at a loss for names. I'll bet some of you are in the same boat. So I decided to start a post-swap centralized thread where we can all ask who gave us what, and ask questions about it.

I'll go first. Who gave me zuchette? Was it mrsfrodo? It sounds like it might be a dwarf variety, so I googled to find final size, to no avail. Is there anything you can tell me about this? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

I think I labeled all but one of my pots. I brought: purple coneflower, echium, gulf coast penstemon, belamcanda (blackberry lilies), tradescantia (spiderwort). I can't remember if I brought anything else. My plants had white labels with names in red sharpie.

I also brought seeds....if anyone has any questions, mine were in little clear ziplocks with white printed labels: mostly likely malva zebrina, gulf coast penstemon, verbascum, gloriosa daisies, dwarf coreopsis.

I posted a couple of pics...lol...of some of the plants I brought. I hope that helps someone.

I missed the angel trumpets! That's what I get for being late :)

Lisa

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Lisa - I had angel trumpets last year and ended up with two seed pods. One was quite dry when I pulled it off, but the other one was not and I took it off because it was going to freeze. I have planted some of these seeds, but they have not come up. If they do really germinate, I will be happy to send you some seed. I have plenty but mine are purple. As soon as I know my seeds are good, I will let you know, and you are welcome to them. If not, I have a friend that gets lots of volunteers each year, so I can get some more.

seedmama - I didn't bring much to the swap. I brought George some small tomato plants, 6 roma, 2 Baker's Family Heirloom, and 1 Rutgers.

I brought 22 small pots of Balsam Impatiens and about 25 black plastic flower pots.

I now understand how everything works so I should be able to do better in the fall swap. Carol

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

I have no questions. Just hope, the plants I brought do well for those that picked them up.

I brought shasta daisies. They came originally from Georgia, and are a variety that doesn't get quite as tall as what you usually get around here.

only one measily pot of aguga, which I have in part shade, as well as almost full sun at my house.

some bare root blackberry lily, packed in newspaper bags. They came from the Tulsa demo garden at the extension center. They were on the west side, in full heat and sun.

I also brought some lemon balm. It grows well in full sun to part light shade.

Again, I hope this all grows well for you.

I went home with a little lavender, two tomato plants, to purple pea/bean vines and a cantaloupe plant. All are planted, and look a little beat up from the hail we had.

Thanks everyone for the plants I got to bring home.

Moni

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

Carole: Thank you! I would love seeds and plants too, if you have them. But seeds are easier to mail :)

Lisa

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

I had so much fun - it was great to get to meet all of you - I am the crazy guy who brought all the big pots - and took home 10 tomatos, 2 spuash, and one butterfly weed. I had a blast and will start getting things ready now for the fall swap! Getting cuttings started now from what I have here and will keep looking for what I can add to the mix!

• laura_lea60
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

I also had a great time! I brought heirloom tomatos (Mortgage lifter, black cherry, black krim & lemon oxheart) & peppers (jalapeno, long red cayenne & couple from chili family). In turn, brought home blackberry lillys (thanks Lisa!) & iris, peonie, pecan tree, agave (thanks Dawn!), correopsis, butterfly plant & sweet potato starts (thanks George) and more stuff that I don't even know who to thank for.

Lunch was awsome and truly enjoyed meeting all of you! Look forward to a fall swap and if "devilwoman" needs help please let me know. The DH was sorry that he missed all the fun but helped me unload the truck when I got home.

Have a wonderful day!
    Laura

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

Laura, I sprinkled a bunch of belamcanda seed in the container, so hopefully you will have bunch of new babies pop up.

Lisa

• annbb
    15 years ago

I took home five tomato plants that may all have come from Dawn, not sure. I am wondering if they are all full-sized tomatoes or cherries and if it would be possible to grow them in pots by my sunny door so the deer might be too afraid to come eat them. They are: Ildi, Primetime, Red Defender, Rose Quartz and Gold Ball. Rose Quartz is my favorite so far because I used to be a rock hound. I love all the plants I got at the swap!
    Ann

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Ann,

Those probably are from me because I brought all 5 of those varieties. Here's a brief description of each:

ILDI: An open-pollinated heirloom yellow grape type that is indeterminate and usually gets 5 to 6' tall in my garden. It produces heavy yields of bright yellow oval-shaped tomatoes in clusters. You'll often see Ildi sold as "Yellow Grape" at Farmer's Markets. Is a pretty early producer with a DTM of about 53-54 days. I've grown it in a pot, but it stayed smaller and didn't produce as many fruit per plant as it does when in the ground.

GOLD BALL: Also known as Livingston's Gold Ball. This is an heirloom open-pollinated tomato first introduced by A. W. Livingston in 1892. The plants are indeterminate and usually get 5-6' tall in my garden. The plants produce large yields of beautiful canary yellow round tomatoes slightly larger than a cherry tomato--almost the size of a ping pong ball. Some people like to use Gold Ball (and Yellow Pear or both together) to make tomato preserves or tomato marmalade. DTM is about 65 days. Has done pretty well when grown in a large container (10-15 gallon).

ROSE QUARTZ: This is an indeterminate open-pollinated plant from Japan that produces deep rose pink cherry tomatoes in clusters. DTM: 65 days. The tomatoes are more grape-shaped than cherry-shaped and some people see "off" shapes like slightly plum-shaped or slightly pear-shaped fruit. Gets about 5' tall in my garden and slightly smaller in a large container.

PRIMETIME F-1 HYBRID: From Harris Seed. This is an excellent late-season tomato with a DTM of about 80-84 days. It always produces ripe fruit in my garden in July and August when many other tomatoes have shut down production. The fruit are large, very smooth, round, deep red and quite tasty. The vines are Determinate, but they are large Determinates, usually around 4.5 to 5' tall in my garden. Very heavy yields on very disease-resistant plants. In my garden, they produce better in the ground than in pots, but then my pots are close to the barn and get pretty hot.

RED DEFENDER F-1 HYBRID. Also from Harris Seed. New this year for me and one I'm very excited about trying. This is a midseason variety so it should produce ripe fruit in 70-75 days from the date of transplant. Is supposed to produce heavy yields of large to very large, deep red, round fruit on Determinate plants that have outstanding disease resistance, including intermediate resistance to the dreaded Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. It is said to have excellent flavor and is one of the "new" varieties bred with the flavor gene that gives it larger amounts of furaneol, which you can read about in the attached link.

I haven't grown it before, so I am going to try one in the ground and 1 in a container.

I hope they all do well for you.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid Tomatoes With Enhanced Flavor

• mrsfrodo
    15 years ago

Hey Lisa! I think I gave you Zuchetta squash ( full name Zucchetta Trombolina Zucchini). The seeds were from John Scheper's Kitchen garden seeds. It is definitely not a dwarf, but can be trellised. I wanted a vining summer squash and this was only 1 of 2 that I could find. Botanically, they may actually be winter squash that can be eaten like summer squash, but is hard to tell since neither site gives latin names.

Cook's garden (Summer Squash Tromboncino) http://www.cooksgarden.com/prodinfo.asp?number=680&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=19

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini at John Scheper's Kitchen Seeds

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

I think I came home with one yellow summer squash...I should have taken some zuchini too!!! I did take some chives and Star of Bethlehem.

I also planted out last night: mortage lifter tomato, jet star tomato and another tomato whose name escapes me...but I got the idea from the name it was similar to mortgage lifter.

I'm growing all the veggies in my front bed. Now when I post pics of my front flower beds, ya'll can see your plants :)

Lisa

• indian_blanket
    15 years ago

I had a great time. Thanks. I really especially liked those potato wedges ( on the potluck table, not to plant) , whoever brought those. Hey! A monarch or some butterfly just went past the window! Yesterday I took the day off and from the swap I planted those balsam imapatiens, a blackberry lily ( how'd you get those from a demo garden?), a red canna, lemon balm ( I gave my wife and mother-in-law smell first), the double orange daylilies, 2 wild violets, and a 6-pack of 4 o'clocks ( are they growing already or am I just imagining it?).

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

They are redoing the demo garden. I am a Master Gardener of the class of 2005 in Tulsa. I was there, helping on Friday, and got lucky. ;)

Anyone else here a Master Gardener?

Moni

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

IB: Moni made those yummy potatoes.

Lisa

• annbb
    15 years ago

Thanks Dawn for all the great tomato info. I will take really good care of them, I promise.
    Ann

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Ann,

You're welcome. I hope they produce lots of yummy tomatoes for you.

Dawn