SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robynw_gw

Organic after Ortho weed kill...

17 years ago

Hi everyone,

First of all, many thanks to everyone here. The information on these forums is so useful and inspirational. With your help, we've been able to successfully get SOME of my lawn thriving organically. We've been mowing high, watering deeply/infrequently, and in areas with good soil the lawn has been outcompeting the weeds. It's not perfect, but definitely within our range of acceptable. We're very excited about it!

The problem is that there are large parts of our lawn that currently do not have deep enough soil, so the grass has not been thick enough to keep out the weeds, and the weeds are spreading past my ability to pull them out by hand. In these areas, I put down Ortho Total Kill weed killer spray (via the hose). I wasn't happy about it, but the weeds were taking over. And if that happened, I'm afraid that it would mean the end of the organic plan and we (read: husband) would have insisted on going back to the full chemical routine.

In order to get the lawn healthier in these spots I've been putting down compost and Starbucks UCG. We gave the whole lawn the CGM treatment at the beginning of spring, and I'm ready to do it again. I'm hopeful that if we can get the soil healthy enough in these areas over time, I can have a 100% successful organic lawn.

My question then, is now that I have applied these icky poisons to parts of my lawn, have I killed all microbes/earthworms in those areas? How long before those guys return? Can I apply compost again in these areas for the microbial benefit, or do I need to wait a week... or a month...? I was going to do another round of CGM to try to stay ahead of the crabgrass (and still allow enough time before a fall overseeding)-- should I delay this while the Ortho is still doing its thing?

Please no flaming me for my transgressions. I'm really trying. But I think it will take a season or two to get these shallow areas in better shape, and until then having a front lawn of weeds is not an option.

Thanks,

robyn

: )

Comments (13)

Sponsored