SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurel6123

Good resources to learn (other than here?)

Laurel6123
12 years ago

I will preface by saying that I know little about lawns.

I'm attempting to regain the lovely lush grass I had when I moved in, before my pine trees succumbed to bark beetle and spewed a veritable mat of long (6+ inches) pine needles that covered (and smothered) my lawn.

Particular issues:

-High sand content/rapid drainage

-Little loam/organic matter (mower is set to highest level and clippings are left on the lawn, unless I get busy with harvest and don't get the lawn mowed for a couple weeks in late summer)

-Moss (in full sun areas-?? I thought moss liked shade?)

-'bunchy', clumpy grass-I don't have the foggiest idea what variety I have, but as I'm in eastern WA, and about 2 hours south of Spokane I'm assuming its a bluegrass of somekind? (I've tried to figure it out but can't find a good site to look w/ google; Suggestions would be most welcome). I though originally it was crabgrass, but I don't believe so (I sprayed with 2,4,D to catch up and control weeds once this spring, but don't want to use it again.)

I also have a fair number of little white grubs that appear to be grub worms; I have 8 pullets that will be most happy to snarf the ones they find, but I'm certain that won't be enough to eliminate the problem. As I understand it, Milky spore takes a while to work-anything to do in place of/along with?

Tentative plan:

I read about the baby soap spray, I'm going to try that and see if it helps, and along the same lines, realized that my 30 min 3x a week water schedule last year was the exact opposite of what I should have done. That will change as soon as I turn my sprinklers on this year.

Rather than asking to simply be spoonfed information (although on a few points it *would* be helpful to have product names/specific suggestions), I'd most appreciate books/websites/etc so that I can really learn what I need to do. (If there is any information that I left out that would be useful, let me know!)

Thank you very much!

Laurel-who is trying really hard to turn 'that house' into a nice place

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction