SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlykub

Brown, brown, brown

kimberlykub
16 years ago

Hi, I'm a lurker. Switched to organic last year. It was the second summer for a new build/new lawn on what was previously a young (20 years) woods. Before that I understand the area was farmland. Having said that part of our property is old growth so I'm not sure what I believe. Our landscaper put down a few (2-3) inches of topsoil/compost then seeded with mix of fescue/kbg/rye. We have clay here too. Unfortunately our builder got us hay instead of straw so there's that in the mix too. We started out with Milorganite, then used SBM ttwice. A couple rounds of sugar. Watered once a week deeply. Used the containers to be sure and everything. Thought we were in really good shape till the snow melted. What a lot of brown. I don't mind the stuff that has grass around too, it's the patches of what last year was just beautiful green, lush areas and now brown. No green in it. I was feeling better because I saw someone else had posted similarly. Well it's mid-April and I'm getting worried.

I understand if it's dead it's dead but any clues what I did wrong? Should I have introduced Alfalfa for better root development? I may have way underfed also unfortunately I don't know. We used 250 pounds of soybean meal for about 11k sq. ft. of lawn. Of course that is rough measurement w/o taking out garden beds, barn/wood shed. We are figuring about 20/lbs per 1k sq.ft. is the application rate.

I have read and read here but I guess I would appreciate hearing what you think specific to us. You know how it is when you think you know something and you don't know what you don't know...

This year we have the soybean ready to go. It's a bit late but we really just warmed up and had late snows. Also I had to rake all this brown stuff so it wasn't matted and the SBM could get through.

Hubby got some compost and we tossed it out there too. Not the recommended rate we just can't accommodate that magnitude of a job right now. But we were putting in some garden beds and he bought an extra truck load so we could toss that around a bit.

I would appreciate any instruction, tips, ideas, etc... The optimistic part of me is hoping a don't worry yet will still apply but I'm skeptical of that. The glass is half empty right now.

Thanks so much for all the info here.

Comments (8)

Sponsored