SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

1/3 acre of weeds! Overwhelmed

ladybugfruit
12 years ago

This will be my second spring in this house and I am at a point where I want to start putting more focus on the lawn. I've always been organic and was successful with my last lawn but I will admit I am totally overwhelmed with this much lawn and for it to be in pretty bad shape. I did put down cotton seed mill in the spring and CGM last fall, remembered to mow high, and while I am sure it helped some, the weeds are still a plenty. I am going to focus on the the front this year, since it is smaller than the back. I want to spread compost,but not sure I should with so many weeds. If I pulled all the weeds out, with the exception of one patch of bermuda that did well last year, I would have soil and very healthy weeds. To boot, we have moles and voles, although I think mostly moles. Our soil is sandy with a little loam, but mostly sandy. I have several bare patches due to a live oak tree and the shade it casts. I am not planning on trying grass on the side of the yard with the tree, I know better. I am thinking some st. augustine for the patches where the shade hits would do well.

I could basically use some step by step direction on how I should proceed in what order. Budget is small and I want to be wise with the resources I have. While I really want to get the great looking lawn now, I realize it will take a while. Worth it if I can get it sooner than later though. I made quite a few converts in the last neighborhood. The conditions are so different here than my last place, I think that's what has shot my wheels off.

Thanks for any input, it's greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES