SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skyblue12

New to organics, need advice

skyblue12
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to organic lawn care and I need some advice. This past fall, after the drought of the summer, our lawn was mostly weeds, crabgrass and some clumps of existing fescue. I tilled almost all of our yard, raked up the weeds and crabgrass, mixed compost (with cow manure) and seed starter with the clay soil and seeded using Grande fescue (a tall fescue). For the past two months I've been weeding with a Weed Hound and pulling up as many weeds as I can by hand. With all the rain we've had lately, I can see all kinds of small, mat-like weed starting to come up. I know now, after doing a lot of reading over the winter, that by tilling I probably dug up millions of weed seeds that will now germinate. We haven't used anything, no pre-emergents or any other chemicals on our lawn for at least 8 years. We haven't fertilized either. Pretty much all we've done is just mow, and at too short a height. I need some advice on what I should do now. Will the fescue have a chance to become established and eventually crowd out the weeds? We live in Knoxville, TN.

Thank you for your help.

Karen

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES