SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grn_grl

Delimma: Sunflowers in the Veggie garden?

grn_grl
12 years ago

I've been planning on planting sunflowers in the last row of my vegetable garden; just to add some flowers to the landscape, attract beneficial insects etc. (zinnias and nastrums also). I was wondering if anyone has advice on sunflowers in regards to whether or not they will be too much of a bad bug attractor,or if by planting at the end they will work as a trap. My concern is ants, not fire ants thankfully, but I have LOTS of ants. Like hills in my raised vegetable beds. I have had good luck with controlling them this spring both inside and outside the house with cornmeal mix. (From what I understand they eat it and the leavening activates inside their intestines and kills them.) But I'm not really sure I want to put up a big sign that says, "hey ants come into my garden". I realize that the ants aren't overly harmful to my plants but with the size of my population (I'm surrounded by woods, and my yard is covered in hills) they are really troublesome. Also I don't want them all over my grapes which are near the area I am considering growing them. So do any of you grow sunflowers with your veggies, have you had any major issues? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)